These gluten free cookies are called many things, gluten free compost cookies, garbage cookies, etc. Anway you name them, the mantra is to clean out your pantry and make this easy compost cookie recipe with the scraps!
If you love cookies as much as we do…you will want to check out all of my amazing gluten free cookie recipes!!
How many of you have family members who eat a bag of gluten free chips, pretzels, nuts, candy, or even steal some of your secret stash of baking chips….only leaving a few bites left in the package?
It is time to clean out my overflowing pantry. Did you know you can make a delicious gluten free compost cookie out of the partially empty bags of snacks in your pantry?
You know what they do next…they seal the bag back up and stuff it into the back of the pantry. It’s like they can’t manage the last two bites, and just put it away out of sight. These gluten free cookies help you use up those crumbs and leftovers.
How many of these bags reside in the back of your pantry?
Here are some of the things I found:
Garbage or Treasure for “Compost Cookies”?
How long has that all even been in my pantry?
Gluten free food is EXPENSIVE!
I can’t in good conscience just toss it all.
What if I just smash/chop it all the leftovers up and toss it into a cookie?”
Salty and sweet. Everyone loves that combination, right? Since starting my blog, my family is used to my wacky creations…this will just take it to a new level.
Are you ready to make this fun new gluten free cookies recipe?
- Gluten free flour blend
- Xanthan gum (only if your gluten free flour blend doesn’t already have this)
- Baking soda
- Organic Coconut Sugar
- Butter (you can substitute coconut oil)
- 1 1/2 cups of mix-ins from the pantry
(The scraps the first time I made these cookies, and the scraps the second time. This compost cookie recipe works with any scraps!)
These compost cookies bake at 350F degrees for 8-10 minutes depending on your cookie size.
I recommend baking these gluten free compost cookies on parchment paper to prevent them from sticking to the pan.
More Delicious Gluten Free Cookies to Try:
Things You Need to Make Gluten Free Compost Cookies:
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (if your flour blend doesn't already have it)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted (you can substitute coconut oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups of mix-ins, less if it is all candy!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add all of your dry ingredients (except the mix ins.) Whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, mix all of the wet ingredients.
- Blend the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Add in the mix-ins, breaking apart any ingredients that are too large (ie: pretzels)
- Chill dough for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Put on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until done.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 108mg Carbohydrates: 25g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 14g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g
I hope you all enjoy these cookies!
(*Note most of this recipe’s pictures were updated 9/13/16)