Love chili on a cold night? How about a busy school night? This easy butternut squash chili is ready in just 30 minutes!! This butternut squash chili recipe is full of meat, beans, and fresh butternut squash.
If you prefer a more traditional chili, give this Ground Pork Chili recipe a try!
Today’s task was to find a delicious way to use a beautiful organic butternut squash that I received in my farm box.
The weather is cooling off here, and the time is right for a delicious meaty bowl of hot chili. There is a big debate whether chili should have beans in it…so you will need to choose your team.
Which team are you on? Team Chili with No Beans, or Team Chili with Beans.
I grew up with my dad’s famous chili, and my dad always included lots of beans. (If you can imagine us kids growing up singing the “beans” song??)
I adapted my dad’s famous chili recipe by adding some butternut squash for some extra sweetness. If you like spicier beef chili, feel free to add jalapenos and other fun spicy peppers to this recipe!
This beef chili is really easy to make and cooks in just 30 minutes making it perfect for a busy night! Are you ready to give this recipe a try?
- Ground beef
- Bell peppers,
- Butternut squash
- Ancho chilis
- Chili powder
- Kidney beans
- Diced tomatoes with fire-roasted chilis
- Tomato sauce
How to make butternut squash chili:
Brown the onion and peppers in a pot. Next, add the butternut squash and organic grass-fed ground beef. Cover and cook until the ground beef is browned.
Add the spices, beans, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes so the flavors can all cook in.
These are my favorite peppers when I am making chili because they add great flavor. I found them at my local Sprout Market and I am sure they are in a lot of grocery stores.
Can you make this chili with ground turkey?
You can make this chili recipe with any ground meat. Ground turkey is a great choice because it is low fat!
Can you make this chili without beans?
If you prefer to make your chili without beans, paleo-style, that is completely fine! There is a ton of heartiness from the butternut squash and ground meat!
There are so many ways to top this chili recipe! Try one of these:
- Chopped onion or scallion
- Shredded cheese
- Queso makes a great topper
- Sour cream
More 30 Minute Dinner Recipes To Try:
- Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo
- Grilled Steak with a Garlic Basil Sauce
- Gluten Free Chicken Piccata
- Gluten Free Chili-Mac Soup
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- 1 pound organic grass fed ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 red or orange bell peppers, diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped butternut squash, bite sized
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chilis, (I like spicy so I used 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cans beans, rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes with fire roasted chilis
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large pot, add oil, onion, and peppers.
- Cook over medium heat until softened.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add butternut squash and the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium low to simmer.
- Continue to cook for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 67mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 14g