If you LOVE French fries as much as I do, you will love these crispy baked French fries recipe. Each crispy bite will taste incredible. Dip them in this curry dipping sauce for a fun side dish or appetizer!
Okay, I have a confession to make. I am a French fry addict. This is hard because it can be so hard to find safe French Fries. How many times have you gone to a restaurant, only to find out their fryer is shared? A shared fryer means gluten foods are fried in the same fryer as gluten free food. That is super bad if you are sensitive to gluten like me.
What is a poor French fry-loving person to do? Make your own oven fries! It is so easy to get crispy, delicious perfect French fries baked in your oven.
French fries are not just for a side dish anymore. French fried potatoes make incredible appetizers. Just serve some up for your next party. I bet the whole bowl of French fries gets eaten first!
Why This Recipe Is Great:
- I share my best secret for crispy baked fries.
- The curry mayo dipping sauce is amazing with the fries.
- This is an easy appetizer to make, and it tastes as if you ordered it from a restaurant!
- Baked fries have a lot less fat than fried!
Grab a fry, or ten and enjoy this crispy gluten free side dish recipe anytime!
Tips For Sucess:
- The secret is to soak your cut potatoes in ice-cold water for 20 minutes. This helps the potatoes retain their color, but it also helps remove some of the potato starch as well so you get crispier baked fries.
- You can peel the potatoes, or leave the peels on.
- Use a special vegetable mandolin to cut the fries really quickly. This is a huge time saver!
I absolutely love these glass stackable bowls. They make it easy to hold separate ingredients. They are also great for entertaining when you need to serve bowls of snacks!
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Step 1: Wash the potatoes with a potato brush. This brush is really helpful to clean the bumpy surface of russet potatoes.
Step 2: Place the potatoes onto a cutting board and use a sharp knife to slice them into rectangular fries.
Step 3: Fill a large bowl with ice water and put the potatoes into the bowl. Soak the potatoes for 15 minutes. This will help remove starches so the fries bake crispier.
Step 4: Preheat the oven to 425º F. After soaking the potatoes, pat them dry with a paper town. Put back in the bowl and toss the potatoes with avocado or olive oil.
Step 5: Place a piece of parchment paper down on a
Step 6: Bake the fries for 10 minutes. Flip the fries over and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy these hot with my curry mayo for fries.
To Make the Curry Dipping Sauce:
Add the mayo, curry powder, salt, and lime juice to a small
Here is the curry dipping sauce all mixed up. It is not only a great dipping sauce, but you can use it on burgers and sandwiches too!
The best potato for making French fries are russet potatoes. These potatoes tend to be drier, making them absorb less oil and come out crispier. Other potatoes will work, but try to stick with the waxier dry potato varieties.
Store baked fries in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You will need to re-crisp them in the oven or air fryer.
If you are a fries fan like me, you will also want to try this Salt and Pepper Chips recipe.
More Gluten Free Potato Recipes to Try:
- Mashed Potato Pie with Bacon Roses
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Nachos
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Fries
Oven Baked French Fries with Curry Dipping Sauce
- 3-4 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup mayonaise
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- additional lime for garnish
- optional fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash the russet potatoes and cut into French fries.
- Put the cut raw fries into a large bowl of ice water. Soak for 20 minutes.
- Carefully pour out water and pat fries down with a paper towel to dry. (Dry the bowl too.)
- Add fries back to the bowl. Add oil and mix well.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Line up the fries so that none are touching each other. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the fries brown. Flip them over halfway through baking.
- While the fries are baking, add all dip ingredients to the bowl and mix.
- When the fries come out of the oven, drizzle with lime juice and chopped cilantro (optional).
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!