This is something different, and yet so flavorful I wonder why I didn't think of this before. This dairy-free sweet potato flavored vegan whipped cream is the perfect topper on any fall or holiday dessert.
Slather this deliciously flavored whipped cream on all of your favorite gluten free desserts!
Click for Table of Contents:
When I was creating my gluten free sweet potato bread pudding recipe, I had some extra sweet potato puree leftover.
- Full fat coconut milk
- Sweet potato puree
Mr. Fearless Dining was in the kitchen and joked that I should make a flavorful whipped cream out of some of the extra puree. It could taste great on any dessert!
This recipe is so easy, you can make it anytime. Canned full fat coconut milk is my go-to dairy-free milk to make whipped cream. I always have a can in my refrigerator just in case.
💭 Top tip:
Note coconut milk really only whips up thick and creamy if it is really cold so put a can in towards the back of your refrigerator where it is coldest.
I don't add sweetener to the coconut milk if I am making regular whipped cream. My kids, however, like their whipped cream sweet so you will have to gauge your audience.
After making this, I realize if I had more sweet potato puree, it would have made an incredible mousse. The flavor is subtle and will add just a touch of sweetness to those holiday pies and desserts.
Canned vs roasted sweet potato
You can use canned sweet potato or roasted sweet potato for this recipe. I highly recommend canned because it is whipped up really smooth.
If you choose to use roasted sweet potato, you need to whip it with a little water in a Vitamix or another high powered blender to get it to be smooth with no chunks or lumps.
- An electric mixer to whip up the coconut milk.
- These bowls are awesome when you use a mixer because they have a rubber bottom. No sliding around the counter!
- 14 ounce can of very cold full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons sweet potato puree (super creamy, no chunks.) I used canned organic sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, add all coconut milk and sugar.
- Whip on high with an electric mixer until very thick.
- Add sweet potato and vanilla.
- Whip another minute to blend.
- Serve on top of pies, cakes, or any dessert.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Saturated Fat: 12gSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g