This is something different, and yet so flavorful I wonder why I didn’t think of this before. This dairy-free sweet potato flavored vegan whipped cream is the perfect topper on any fall or holiday dessert.
When I was creating my gluten free sweet potato bread pudding recipe, I had some extra sweet potato puree leftover.
Mr. Fearless Dining was in the kitchen and joked that I should make a flavorful whipped cream out of some of the extra puree. It could taste great on any dessert!
Well, why not? Dairy free? Even better :-).
This recipe is so easy, you can make it anytime. Canned full fat coconut milk is my go-to dairy-free milk to make whipped cream. I always have a can in my refrigerator just in case.
TIP *Note coconut milk really only whips up thick and creamy if it is really cold so put a can in towards the back of your refrigerator where it is coldest.
I don’t add sweetener to the coconut milk if I am making regular whipped cream. My kids, however, like their whipped cream sweet so you will have to gauge your audience.
After making this, I realize if I had more sweet potato puree, it would have made an incredible mousse. The flavor is subtle and will add just a touch of sweetness to those holiday pies and desserts.
Click here to see all of the gluten free desserts on this blog!
Things You Need to Make This Recipe:
- An electric mixer to whip up the coconut milk.
- These bowls are awesome when you use a mixer because they have a rubber bottom. No sliding around the counter!
- 14 ounce can of very cold full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons sweet potato puree (super creamy, no chunks.) I used canned organic sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, add all coconut milk and sugar.
- Whip on high with an electric mixer until very thick.
- Add sweet potato and vanilla.
- Whip another minute to blend.
- Serve on top of pies, cakes, or any dessert.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Saturated Fat: 12gSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g