If you need a healthy, easy to make dinner, this deconstructed grilled eggplant parmesan is a great choice.
Do you need a healthy dinner that can be ready in a hurry?
I always need these easy recipes, and I often look for cheats to make a fun dish easier. Take eggplant parmesan. I love the flavor of eggplant parmesan, but it is messy and takes a long time to make. Don’t even get started on frying…I hate the oil that spatters everywhere!
This recipe is a meal that has so much flexibility to be adapted too. It can be made in advance, and baked like a casserole. You can even put the ricotta on the grilled eggplant and roll it up like a roll. Eggplant recipes have so much flexibility.
I rubbed olive oil on the eggplant then cooked it on our grill. Add a layer of ricotta, sauce, then mozzarella. Top it off with parmesan cheese and fresh basil. It is that simple.
You can even add other vegetables and make vegetable “stacks” like these Healthy Eggplant, Zucchini, and Mushroom Stacks.
(They make a delicious vegetarian dish for entertaining.)
What are some of your favorite easy dinners?
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup Pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Preheat your grill.
- Slice the large eggplant so you have 1/2" slices.
- Brush each side with olive oil.
- Sprinkle salt to taste over one side.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If it is hot outside, use a toaster oven!
- Reduce grill heat to medium and grill for 3-5 minutes each side until done.
- Remove from the grill.
- Spread slices in a baking dish.
- Top each round with ricotta cheese.
- Spoon pasta sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Top with parmesan.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm with fresh basil sprinkled on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 144 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 247mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 6g
Delicious Vegetarian Meals
This Fig and Fennel Salad would go really well with this dish.
How about dessert to round out the meal? I love this Gluten Free Peach Cobbler.