Al dente lentil pasta is the star in this simple red lentil pasta recipe. This pasta salad is full of black beans, scallions, roasted green chiles, and Mexican flavors. It makes a delicious healthy lunch or side dish. A dairy-free option also if you prefer a vegan pasta salad!
(*This post is sponsored by Barilla but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.)
Spring is around the corner and I am so excited to share this easy gluten free red lentil pasta recipe with you!
If you haven't tried Barilla's new single-ingredient kinds of pasta, you need to!! I have tried healthy legume pasta in the past, but none have stayed al-dente like this pasta! Barilla's new pasta comes in either red lentil or chickpea.
This red lentil pasta cooks firm and it has a real pasta flavor that will even fool your kids! If you love salads as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious healthy gluten free salads recipes.
These lentil pasta recipes are not only naturally gluten free, but they are also vegetarian! I love being able to have an easy and healthy vegetarian lunch. This grain-free pasta holds up beautifully to sauces!
You are going to love how easy this Mexican inspired gluten free pasta salad is to make!! In keeping this recipe healthy, this pasta salad is made with simple delicious ingredients:
- Barilla Red Lentil Pasta - Note you can use any gluten free pasta you like. I used the penne shape but you can also use the rotini-shaped pasta.
- Greek yogurt - Full fat, 2%, or 0% fat is fine.
- Salsa - I love using Trader Joe's Roasted Salsa, but feel free to use your favorite.
- Roasted green chiles - I used canned mild green chiles, but if you like spice, use spicy!
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Bring your water to a boil. I add one teaspoon of salt to help it boil faster. When the water starts to boil, add the Barilla Red Lentil Pasta. Boil per package directions.
If you use a different brand, follow those directions because every brand has a different cooking time.
Cooking Tip for Al-Dente Pasta:
Step 2: Here is my favorite tip to keeping this pasta al-dente...The secret is to do a cold water rinse after draining the pasta in the colander. If you leave hot gluten free pasta in a colander, it will continue to cook. Cold water rinsing halts the cooking process so your pasta doesn't overcook!
Step 3: Add black beans, roasted green chiles, and scallions to a bowl. Mix well.
Step 4: Next, you want to mix the pasta salad seasoning sauce. Add Greek yogurt, salsa, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt/pepper.
Step 5: Mix and then pour onto the pasta salad ingredients. Stir and mix well to coat all of the pasta.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Red lentil pasta is healthy and delicious! It also has more protein than regular gluten free pasta.
I found red lentil pasta to be a bit more firm than regular gluten free rice pasta. The texture is a little different, but it holds sauce as good as any pasta.
I keep this pasta salad in an air-tight container in the refrigerator so it doesn't dry out.
This pasta salad should keep up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
More Delicious Gluten Free Pasta Recipes:
gluten free pasta salad
- 9 ounces red lentil pasta (1 box)
- 1 cup black beans
- 4 ounces roasted green chiles
- ¼ cup scallions
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt or dairy-free substitute
- ¼ cup salsa
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook the pasta according to box directions.
- Dump the pasta into a colander and run under cold water to cool off the pasta. Move the pasta into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, add yogurt, salsa, chili powder, salt, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Drain and rinse a can of black beans. Add the beans to the pasta.
- Add the green chiles and pasta salad seasonings to the pasta and beans. Mix well.
- Serve chilled.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)