This Peppermint Rocky Road Fudge is exactly what my chocolate cravings need and once you taste this fudge, yours will too! It is so simple to make, and your friends and family are going to beg you to whip some up! This homemade fudge makes a great gift.
Often people think that if you eat gluten free, you don’t get to enjoy sweet treats. That can’t be further from the truth. Thankfully, over recent years, there have been so many delicious products made that fit your gluten free lifestyle.
You can read more about how to live gluten free with these tips on Gluten Free Living (and dining out safely!) If you can’t get enough sweets, like Mr. Fearless Dining, you have to take a look at these homemade gluten free candy recipes:
- Minty White Chocolate Fudge Bite
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge
- Homemade Butterscotch Hard Candy
This homemade fudge makes wonderful gifts for family and friends...anyone who loves chocolate! It is also beautiful on a holiday dessert buffet table.
Why Make This Recipe:
- Fudge is great for gift-giving.
- This is a great fudge base recipe, so you can use any mix-ins!
- You can freeze this fudge and thaw it when you want it.
- 10-ounce bag of dark chocolate - Use Enjoy Life if you are dairy-free
- 1 bag of peppermint or regular mini marshmallows.
- ⅓ cup condensed milk (regular or coconut-based if you are dairy-free.)
- ⅓ cup pecans or another type of nut.
How to Make Rocky Road Fudge:
Now let's go through how to make this delicious peppermint rocky road fudge recipe. You only need a few simple ingredients, wax paper, and an 8x8 pan.
Step 1: Line your pan with wax paper. This will prevent your no-bake rocky road fudge from sticking to the pan. It also makes lifting the fudge out of the pan super easy!! All you have to do is lift the wax paper, and the fudge comes right out!
I add a few peppermint marshmallows to the bottom of the pan, maybe ¼ of the total amount.
Step 2: Melt your chocolate and condensed milk together in a bowl. To melt the chocolate, I microwaved the chocolate at 20-second intervals to prevent the chocolate from burning. Stir the mixture between each interval. You can also use a double boiler if you prefer.
Step 3: Add in the peppermint marshmallows and pecans. Mix well so that your mix-ins are blended evenly with the melted chocolate.
Step 4: Pour the fudge mixture into the wax paper-lined pan and spread it out. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Remove the fudge and use a sharp knife to cut it into pieces.
I like to make my fudge a little different each time to change the flavors and textures. If you want to add a variety of nuts to change the taste, here are a few ideas:
- Macadamia Nuts
- Heath Candy Bits (or any chopped candies.)
Yes, you sure can! You must wrap it tightly before freezing so the air doesn’t get to it. Then you can store it for up to three months. This is a great dessert to make ahead of time; you can get it out in small batches to enjoy. To thaw, all you need to do is place it in the refrigerator, and it will slowly thaw, then you can eat it!
Absolutely! Many people don’t like nuts' flavor or texture, so you can omit them from the recipe.
The answer is yes! You can choose whichever method is more comfortable for you. I like the microwave because it is fast and I don’t have to spend as much time watching it.
When heating the chocolate on the stove, you will want to keep a close eye on it and make sure not to burn it. I recommend using a candy thermometer; you can take it off the burner when it reaches 238 degrees Fahrenheit.
This homemade fudge recipe will last a while in the refrigerator. Store in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
You can definitely freeze this homemade rocky road fudge recipe. Seal in a locking freezer bag until you need it.
More chocolate desserts:
- Dark Chocolate Truffles Three Ways
- Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies
- Gluten Free Devil's Food Cake
- Gluten Free Chocolate Caramel Tart
- A candy thermometer if you use a stove.
- Good dark melting chocolate. (You can also use milk chocolate if you prefer!)
This post was updated from an older December 2018 post with more detailed instructions.
Peppermint Rocky Road Fudge
- 10 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups mini peppermint marshmallows
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup condensed milk
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate and melt at 30-second intervals. Stir between each interval.
- Add the condensed milk and stir to blend.
- Pour in the marshmallows and pecans and mix well.
- Add the fudge to a wax paper lined 8x8 baking dish and use a spoon to spread the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator and cut into squares.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
Leave a Reply