Get ready for these decadent gluten free banana donuts!! Kids love these donuts, especially when we turn them into Chunky Monkey donuts by adding chocolate, nuts, and coconut. If you are looking for the perfect gluten free donut recipe, this is a great recipe. Make them in just minutes.
Do these donuts sound like Ben & Jerry's ice cream? Well, these donuts have that same delicious flavor!! These gluten-free banana donuts are full of sweet, ripe bananas and are so good. This easy banana recipe is quickly put together so you can enjoy these donuts quickly!
While you are here on the blog, check out the BEST Gluten Free Donut Recipes.
Why This Recipe is Great:
- Unique flavor: Banana donuts have a distinct flavor that sets them apart from traditional donut flavors like chocolate or vanilla. I love the sweetness of the ripe banana combined with the chocolate, coconut, and fudge topping.
- Moist texture: The moisture in the mashed bananas adds a soft and moist texture to the donut. Your donuts will turn out perfectly.
- Healthier: I use unrefined sugar to keep these donuts a little healthier. I also include almond flour so that there is some protein to balance out the sugar. If you are nut-free, see the recipe FAQ for a nut-free option.
- Flexibility: You can make these donuts three different ways. Bake these donuts in a donut pan, use a donut maker, or make them as mini muffins.
If a sweet banana flavor is your thing, too, you MUST try my most popular banana recipe, Gluten Free Banana Bars!!
How To Ripen Bananas
If your bananas are not ripe yet, don't worry. Bananas are so easy to ripen. Check out these tips to ripen your bananas quickly:
- Our favorite way to ripen bananas is to bake them at 250 degrees F for 10-15 minutes!
- Toss them (skin on) on the grill for a few minutes.
- If you have time, put them in a paper bag and seal them shut for a day or two.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend - I tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure blend. Other blends will work, but you may need to adjust the ratio of the wet and dry ingredients.
- Almond Flour - I used Anthony's Almond Flour. Ensure that you use almond flour and not almond meal.
- Coconut Sugar - You can use coconut sugar or brown sugar.
- Baking Powder - Use aluminum-free.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Bananas - See below for tips to ripen bananas.
- Eggs - Size large.
- Butter - Use unsalted butter.
- Milk - I used almond milk, but you can use regular milk or any non-dairy milk.
- Toppings - Chocolate, unsweetened coconut, and nuts.
You will be surprised when you see that these donuts are pretty healthy! Skip the chocolate fudge on top, and you can eat these healthy banana donuts for breakfast!!!
Very good, I used rice flour instead. Topping Nutella and pecans."Roanna, Pinterest user
Tips For Success:
- Do not overmix your donut batter. It will make your donuts will turn out denser.
- I can't recommend using a donut maker enough...it makes your donuts so much better.
- Do not use a stand mixer to mix your donut batter. Hand mixing will ensure your donuts turn out fluffy.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Step 1: Add the dry ingredients to a large
Step 2: In a bowl, soften the butter and add the rest of the wet ingredients. Whisk to blend.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until the two are just barely mixed.
Step 4: This is what the batter looks like. See how it is a little thick? That is okay. These donuts will still be nice and light.
Step 5: You can use a donut maker to make this banana donut recipe or a donut pan!
Step 6: Add the batter to a donut pan to make these donuts in a donut pan. You can spoon the batter into the donut sections or use a piping bag and squeeze the batter into each section.
Step 7: Bake for 15 minutes at 350º F. Note the total bake time will vary depending on the size of your donut pan.
🔑 Sandi says: Donut Makers are a lot easier. All you do is drop a spoonful of donut batter into each section, and they cook in just 3 minutes.
Step 8: I used a simple chocolate fudge sauce I found at Trader Joe's, but you can also melt chocolate chips to make your own homemade chocolate sauce. This is a fun option if you prefer the flavor of milk chocolate!
Step 9: Sprinkle on the shredded coconut. I use unsweetened shredded coconut, but you can use sweetened if you like sweet things.
You can use any nuts you like in this recipe. My favorites are pecans, almonds, and macadamia nuts.
To make this gluten free banana donut recipe nut-free, omit the almond flour and add ½ cup of additional gluten free flour blend. Omit the walnuts on top as well.
To make this recipe dairy-free, use plant-based butter and dairy-free chocolate like Enjoy Life.
Store these banana donuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also freeze these donuts in a zip-style freezer bag.
More Gluten Free Donuts Recipes:
- Gluten Free Fried Donuts - These donuts are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside!
- Gluten Free Apple Cider Donuts - If you love fall flavors, these
- Gluten Free Lemon Donuts - These donuts are full of lemon flavor.
- Gluten free Pumpkin Donuts - These pumpkin donuts are good enough to eat all year long!
Gluten Free Banana Chunky Monkey Donuts
- If you are making these in the oven, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If you are making these in a BabyCakes Donut maker, plug it in to turn it on.
- In a large bowl, add dry ingredients. Whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Spray the donut pan with coconut oil and add batter to each section.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until done.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Drizzle chocolate on top and sprinkle with coconut and walnuts.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
This post was updated from an older August 2018 post with more recipe details.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!