Butternut squash is often ignored when it comes to making cookies and cakes. I hope this gluten free butternut squash caramel cake bar recipe will encourage you to think out of the box when it comes to this nutritious vegetable :-).
Butternut squash is not technically in season yet, but this squash is a staple in our kitchen when the weather turns cold.
Luckily, I found cans of organic butternut squash puree at our local Sprout Market. If you read my blog last year, you will know I love to hide sweet winter squash in a lot of my dessert recipes. I have made:
The best part about hiding vegetables in my desserts? My kids often have no idea. (And I like to keep it that way!) It is a win-win in our house. My kids enjoy these nutritious treats, and I feel better knowing these treats are actually good for my kids!
I guess the big question here is, would you tell your kids?
These are wheat free, gluten free, and completely Celiac safe!
Click here to see all of the cookie and bar recipes on this blog.
(*Please note there is an affiliate link in this recipe. If you make a purchase using an affiliate link, it won’t change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I appreciate your support.)
Tools You Need To Make This Recipe:
- My favorite size baking dish! This makes just enough to keep your tummy filled up with yummy cake!
- These whisks keep my dry and wet ingredients blended perfectly!
- 2 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour, (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 15 ounce can butternut squash puree, 1 can
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup caramel chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a medium bowl, add all wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Spray coconut oil in a 9x9 baking pan.
- Pour cake batter into the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: slice
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 302 Saturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 93mg Carbohydrates: 40g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 16g Protein: 4g
More Yummy Cake Recipes to Try!