These gluten free butterscotch madeleines are my guilty pleasure lately. Light and cake-like, you will love how these cookies melt in your mouth.
I feel like I have ignored my madeleines pan lately...I haven't touched it since early spring when I made these Gluten Free Kumquat Madeleines. In Europe, they would call these cookies madeleines au Citron. I just say they are yummy and have a distinct citrus flavor.
It isn't the pan's fault, it is mine. My madeleines pan ended up so far back in the cabinet, I completely forgot about it. Maybe this is common for food bloggers because we collect so many fun kitchen gadgets and toys :-).
Madeleines are a French sponge cake that is often thought of as a cookie because of its size. The flavor is light and slightly sweet. These are perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.
For this craving, I used butterscotch chips. These are definitely not traditional for madeleines cookies...but a craving is a craving :-).
After whisking the dry ingredients to blend, add the wet ingredients and the butterscotch chips. Mix well.
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn't mean other blends won't work, I just haven't tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
Your dough will be fluffy and thick.
Add a little dough to each Madeleine cake section. Don't worry that it is blobby...it melts down easily to form the classic Madeleine shape.
How long do you bake Madeleines?
Bake your Madeleines for 8-10 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees F until done. Allow them to cool on a cooling rack.
More delicious gluten free Madeleine cookie recipes:
- If you love chocolate mint, these Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Madeleines are wonderful.
- Something different but tasty, these Gluten Free Matcha Green Tea Madeleines are perfect with tea.
- I love pumpkin all year long and so these Gluten Free Pumpkin Madeleines are a great way to hide some veggies!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Butterscotch Madeleines
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a Madeleine pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk to blend.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add melted butter to eggs, mixing the whole time.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and add chips.
- Mix well.
- Drop a spoonful of batter into each Madeleine cake section.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove Madeleines onto a cooling rack.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)