These gluten free butterscotch madeleines are my guilty pleasure lately. Light and cake-like, you will love how these cookies melt in your mouth.
I feel like I have ignored my madeleines pan lately…I haven’t touched it since early spring when I made these Gluten Free Kumquat Madeleines. In Europe, they would call these cookies madeleines au Citron. I just say they are yummy and have a distinct citrus flavor.
It isn’t the pan’s fault, it is mine. My madeleines pan ended up so far back in the cabinet, I completely forgot about it. Maybe this is common for food bloggers because we collect so many fun kitchen gadgets and toys :-).
Madeleines are a French sponge cake that is often thought of as a cookie because of its size. The flavor is light and slightly sweet. These are perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.
For this craving, I used butterscotch chips. These are definitely not traditional for madeleines cookies…but a craving is a craving :-).
How to make gluten free madeleines:
After whisking the dry ingredients to blend, add the wet ingredients and the butterscotch chips. Mix well.
Your dough will be fluffy and thick.
Add a little dough to each Madeleine cake section. Don’t worry that it is blobby…it melts down easily to form the classic Madeleine shape.
Click here to see all of the cookie recipes on this blog.
More Delicious Gluten Free Madeleine Cookie Recipes:
- Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Madeleines
- Gluten Free Matcha Green Tea Madeleines
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Madeleines
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend, (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a Madeleine pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk to blend.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add melted butter to eggs, mixing the whole time.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and add chips.
- Mix well.
- Drop a spoonful of batter into each Madeleine cake section.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove Madeleines onto a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 100mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 8g Protein: 2g