You will love this easy Gluten Free Hawaiian Shortbread Cookies recipe. These cookies are filled with all of the good stuff like coconut and macadamia nuts!
Today’s experiment started out as an excuse to use up an old bag of Bob’s Red Mill Shortbread Cookie Mix. Who knew these gluten free coconut macadamia shortbread bars would turn out so good?
I bought several bags of this mix at the local Grocery Outlet for $1.99 a bag months ago and I was worried it would go bad if I didn’t start using it soon.
This gluten free macadamia shortbread cookie bar recipe was a lot of fun to make.
We have a bag of macadamia nuts that we brought back from our Hawaii vacation.
My fabulous daughter, Kaela, once again took the reins and was my “chocolate drizzler” for the photos. My kids are still on Hawaii time and today was the first day she woke up earlier than 10:00 am. (I suspect the only reason she woke up was to help and eat chocolate for breakfast :-).
Regardless of how much chocolate fudge sauce my daughter inhaled before breakfast today, I must say, these Hawaiian shortbread cookies came out really tasty! I assume any shortbread cookie mix would work well to make these.
Things You Need To Make This Recipe
- Macadamia nuts
- Shredded coconut
- An 8×8 Baking dish
- 1 package Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Shortbread Cookie Mix
- 1 stick butter, cold
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups lightly sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- chocolate fudge, I used Trader Joe'sthe jar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, pour in the cookie mix.
- Add the cold butter and with a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the butter pieces are small.
- In a medium bowl, add water, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Add in coconut and mix well.
- Press dough into the pan.
- Sprinkle macadamia nuts on top and press into the dough slightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked.
- Let cool.
- When cool, cut into squares.
- Heat chocolate fudge in microwave for 15-20 seconds until it is more liquid.
- Drizzle over bars.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 228 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 41mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 1g
More Delicious Cookie Bar Recipes to Try!