Sometimes a quick and easy dinner is just what you need. This healthy gluten free coconut and pecan-crusted chicken tenders recipe are just that. Dip them in the Chinese honey mustard sauce and it is perfect. (This recipe is also dairy-free!)
Gluten free chicken tenders are not only easy to make, but your kids will love them too! If you love easy chicken recipes, I pulled together my best gluten free chicken recipes so you can find them all in one spot.
Are you game to try a delicious kid-friendly dinner that is ready in under 30 minutes? This quick and easy baked chicken tender recipe is so good as a dinner or appetizer. These pecan coconut crusted chicken tenders are a surprise favorite in our house!
When I decided to make this coconut pecan-crusted chicken tenders recipe, I wasn't sure if my kids would like it. They like the individual components in the recipe, but I haven't coated their favorite chicken with this combination.
I was thrilled when my kids told me they loved this new gluten free dinner recipe. If you want to change it up for variety, see the substitution tips below. If you are new to gluten free living, check out my Gluten Free Living 101 with tons of handy tips for living gluten free.
How to make gluten free chicken tenders:
The foundation of this recipe uses this new organic unsweetened coconut I found at Trader Joe's this week. You can use any unsweetened shredded coconut in this recipe.
Dip the chicken tenders in the egg mixture. Flip them over so the whole piece of chicken is coated in the egg.
Dip the egg coated chicken tender in the coconut and pecan mixture. Press the chicken down into the coating mixture so it sticks to the chicken well. Flip the chicken to the other side to coat every side.
Spray a 9x13 baking dish in light oil and arrange the tenders in a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. These gluten free chicken tenders make a healthy, low fat appetizer or dinner!
How do you know when your chicken tenders are done baking?
Your chicken tenders are done baking when they have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
What goes with chicken tenders?
We love this easy Baked French Fries Recipe...you can even dip them in the same sauce as the chicken tenders. If you are looking for an amazing kid-friendly salad recipe, you can't go wrong with this easy Kale and Apple Salad! Mr. Fearless dining told me to include my Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes, which is one of his very favorite sides.
How do you keep the chicken tenders moist and juicy?
The egg wash you use for this recipe helps to lock in the juiciness of these chicken tenders. It is also very important not to over-bake them as that can dry them out.
- If you would like this to be nut-free, omit the pecans and add gluten free rice crumbs. (Rice crumbs are at Trader Joe's.)
- You can use gluten free panko to coat the chicken tenders to make these more kid-friendly.
- You can also pan fry these chicken tenders if you prefer a crispier outside.
Click here to see all of the appetizer recipes on this site.
More Delicious Appetizer Recipes to Try:
- 1 package chicken tenders, about 7-9
- 1/4 cup gluten free panko
- 1/4 cup dry roasted, unsalted pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flake coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- For Chinese Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Hot Mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, add pecans, panko, coconut, and salt.
- Mix well.
- In another bowl, add eggs and beat until blended.
- Spray non-stick coconut oil in a baking dish.
- Take a chicken tender, dip into egg mixture.
- Make sure both sides are coated and put into coconut mixture.
- Press coconut topping into both sides.
- Remove the chicken tender and place into a baking dish.
- Repeat for all of the chicken tenders.
- Bake 15-20 minutes (depending on size of chicken tenders.
- Add honey and mustard to a bowl.
- Stir well and chill until chicken is finished.
- Serve Warm
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 99Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 371mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g
**If your gluten free flour blend doesn't include Xanthan Gum, please add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon! **Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.