The day I have been waiting for has finally arrived. You know what it is like to anticipate an event…check your calendar each day, check off the days, and when that day finally arrives, check the time on your phone until you can go and get it…
Psycho Donuts gluten free Friday! Every two weeks (skipping Valentine’s Day weekend) you can find some gluten free goodness in the shape of donuts.
With names like The Sticky Pig, Chocolate Madness, Sochi’s Choice, and Psycho Strawberry Super Nova, how can one on a gluten free diet resist? The names of these donuts are as Psycho as their toppings suggest.
Chocolate cake, vanilla icing, and strawberry drizzle.
My family’s ultimate favorite!! Vanilla donut, maple icing, lots of crispy bacon!
Chocolate donut, chocolate icing, and chocolate sprinkles.
Red velvet donut, cheesecake icing, and red drizzle. (Our family’s second place favorite.)
How is it that I can trust gluten free donuts made in a regular donut joint? Well, after talking to the manager, Ron, I have to say the precautions taken at Psycho Donuts will stun and amaze the pickiest of critics. None of my family reacted to these donuts, for which I am grateful. (Now, for the sake of full disclosure, I can say you will get a major sugar rush and crazy wild kids after eating these treats.)
Gluten Free at Psycho Donuts
- Naked donuts are made at Melinda’s Gluten Free Bakery in Santa Cruz. This is a dedicated gluten free facility.
- These donuts are placed in exclusive sealed containers and dropped off at Psycho Donuts by 10 pm Thursday night.
- Gluten free donuts are topped before regular production on a sterilized surface.
- Fresh icings are pulled and put in separate containers. There is no risk of cross contaminating the icings this way.
- Gluten free donuts are placed on gold trays lined with parchment paper. Gold trays are only for gluten free so staff can easily identify that they are gluten free.
- Pre-orders are packed in boxes and stored on top of the display case for pick up. (There were probably 50 pre-orders this week, stacked way up high towards the ceiling!)
- Gold trays of gluten free donuts are loaded into a cart and a protective covering is zippered shut around them (see photo below.)
- The next morning before opening. Gluten free donuts on gold trays are placed on the top row of the case so nothing can fall onto them. The bulk of the donuts remain in the zippered cart, and added to the case as needed.
How do you know when these donuts will be available?? They try to make these available every two weeks, but it is not guaranteed.
Psycho Gluten Free–Range Donuts enjoy a cage-free doughy existence, until they meet their maker. Initially, they will be available only on certain days of the week. Follow us @psychodonuts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, (and the other likely suspects…) for availability updates. Hint: Call in your order to the nurse on duty (408-533-1023), to ensure you exit the asylum with a gluten-free smile on your crazy face.”
My suggestion, call ahead and pre-order these. With over 50 customers pre-ordering each time they are available, they sell out quickly.
Want to make a healthier version the maple bacon donut? Click here for my recipe!