This kabocha squash recipe is one of my very favorites. I hope you like these crispy gluten free vegetable fritters with kabocha squash and apples.
Winter squash doesn’t have to be boring!
There are so many fun things you can create with winter squash. Casseroles, risotto, appetizers, breads, even desserts! Have you seen those funny round dark green squash in your stores yet? They sometimes have a spotty, hard dark green rind.
How do you make fritters?
It is really quite simple to make veggie fritters! You can even get your kids to grate the squash for you 🙂
Here are all of the ingredients mixed and ready to fry. We have a burner on our grill, so I tend to do all of my frying outside.
I always put paper towels down so they can absorb the extra oils from frying.
When looking for a topping for my fritter recipe, I stumbled upon this new pepper jelly at Trader Joe’s. This jelly has a mild, but sweet taste, which worked really well with the squash and apple combination in the fritters.
What is your favorite vegetable to make fritters with?
(*Please note there are affiliate links in this post. If you make a purchase from a link, it will not affect the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need to Make This Recipe:
How to Cook Kabocha Squash:
- 1 1/2 cup shredded kabocha squash
- 1 cup shredded apple, (I used a tart apple a granny smith)
- 1/4 cup gluten free beer, I used New Planet
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 3/4 cup Authentic Foods Multi Blend Flour
- I used a grater on the thick holes section to grate the squash and apple.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix.
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- When the oil is hot, add a large spoonful of squash and apple mix to the pan.
- Flatten and add more to fill the pan.
- When the bottom looks crispy, about 3-4 minutes, flip with a spatula to cook the other side.
- Remove these from the oil onto a plate lined with paper towels.
- Continue until all of the squash and apple mix has been cooked.
- Serve with pepper jelly, or your favorite jelly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 254 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 20mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 8g Protein: 4g
More Yummy Gluten Free Recipes to Try: