One of my favorite cookies, these gluten free kumquat madeleines are an easy cookie treat. Madeleines are a light and fluffy cake-like cookie that originated in France.
I found these not too long ago at our local market and I have been experimenting with them ever since.
When you cut them up you can remove their tiny seeds easily.
Kumquats are the only citrus fruit that you can pop in your mouth and eat whole. (*Just remove the kumquat seeds! They are edible, but taste icky!) Their flavor is unique in that they add both orange flavor and a zesty flavor all in one bite.
What better way to enjoy this citrus than in a madeleine?
Madeleines are French butter cakes; more like a sponge cake than a cookie. You can find them plain, dipped in chocolate or even dusted with powdered sugar. I love madeleines and have made a few different flavors like Gluten Free Butterscotch Madeleines and Gluten Free Matcha Madeleines.
Here I added chopped kumquats to the bowl just before I added the wet ingredients.
Click here to see all of the cookie recipes on Fearless Dining.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- Madeleine pan. This pan is non-stick and super affordable under $11!
- This easy to use whisk makes sure all of your dry ingredients are blended together perfectly for smooth cookies.
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend, (*note this blend I use has xanthan gum already added. If yours doesn't include it, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped kumquat, seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray coconut oil on a madeleine pan.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients.
- Whisk to blend.
- Add chopped kumquat and wet ingredients.
- Drop a spoonful of batter into each madeleine section.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookies are done.
- Drizzle with icing or enjoy plain.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 130 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 62mg Sodium: 57mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 10g Protein: 3g
What should I make next with kumquats? I am thinking something with bittersweet chocolate would be a fun combination…..You can even make candied kumquats!
More Yummy Gluten Free Cookie Recipes to Try!