These crunchy gluten free poppy seed roll cookies look like fun pinwheels and are even more fun to eat. You can eat them or unroll and eat them (who else does that with cinnamon rolls?) Either way these crunchy cookies are so much fun to eat!
Mr. Fearless Dining’s grandmother used to bake with poppy seeds. The recipes she made were the most incredible sweets ever!
Using poppy seeds in baking is an Eastern European style of baking. She added poppy seeds to rugelach, breads, rolls, and cookies. Poppy seeds gave her baking a special taste, something different and delicious.
This was way before we knew how sick gluten was making us. There are tons of health benefits to eating poppy seeds, making these cookies a great snack choice! This gluten free poppy seed roll cookie recipe is worthy of Mr. Fearless Dining’s grandma.
When I saw a can of poppy seeds on a shelf with the pie fillings, I knew I had to try to make something similar to what Mr. Fearless Dining’s grandma made. He and his grandmother were really close and it has been years since he has had anything similar to what she baked for him.
When deciding what to make with these poppy seeds, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to create a cookie or a bread.
How would a gluten free bread dough hold up to the moist poppy seeds? With this uncertainty in mind, I decided to take the easy route with a poppy seed roll cookie. I was excited to try to make a dough that could be rolled with a filling. Definitely new baking territory for me!
By making a poppy seed roll out of the cookie dough, you can get a fun pinwheel effect for these cookies. Just roll out the cookie dough and add the poppy paste. Roll them up and then these cookies are slice and bake!
Roll out the cookie dough to be 1/4 inch flat. You want your gluten free cookie dough to be oval or rectangle shaped so you can easily roll it.
Spread a thin layer of poppy seed mixture over the dough. It doesn’t have to be thick.
Carefully roll the dough around the poppy seed mixture.
Gently cut the dough from the roll. These cookies have such a fun pinwheel design.
These Hungarian cookies are ready to bake!
I hope you enjoy these delicious poppy seed cookies!
More Gluten Free Cookie Recipes to Try:
- Gluten Free Pfeffernusse Cookies
- Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies
- Gluten Free Coffee Flour Cookies
- Gluten Free Rugelach
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- Poppy seed mixture. This is a presweetened poppy seed mixture. It is sticky so be careful spreading it.
- Authentic Foods Multiblend Gluten Free Flour
- 2 cups Authentic Foods Multi-Blend Gluten Free Flour, This superfine flour really works well with this rolled type of cookie.
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 can Solo Filling, Poppy Seed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, You can also use regular sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray coconut oil on a cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix wet ingredients (EXCEPT poppy seeds) and coconut sugar and whisk well.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Tear off two sheets of wax paper.
- Drop dough onto waxed paper and cover with the second sheet of waxed paper.
- Roll to 1/8 inch thickness, in a rectangle shape.
- Spread a thin coat of the poppy seed mixture onto the dough, covering all of the dough. (The poppy seeds are really sticky so go slowly.)
- Slowly roll the dough into a tight roll.
- Cut with a sharp knife sections off the roll so each cookie is 1/2 thick.
- Put onto the greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until cooked.
- Cook on a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 168 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 121mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 3g
More Delicious Recipes Recipes to Try