This gluten free sweet potato bread pudding is a delicious dessert that can be enjoyed anytime. Your family will love this quick and easy bread pudding recipe.
I don’t know why I only make bread puddings in the fall.
They really can be enjoyed year round. This gluten free sweet potato bread pudding recipe is a great example. Sweet potato can be bought all year long… and it is packed with nutrition!
My kids are weird, they won’t eat ends of the gluten free bread loaves. And worse, they leave empty bags of these ends in the freezer. I gather the ends up and consolidate these ends and then store them in freezer bags all year long.
Do your kids do this??
Gluten Free Bread Pudding Recipes
Our family loves bread pudding so we usually have enough to make a lot of it in the fall and winter. You may like this easy Gluten Free Old Fashioned Bread Pudding or these Gluten Free Caramel Bread Pudding Muffins.
Well, they won’t know this bread pudding is made up of the “ends”…or more aptly put, their rejects :-).
This gluten free sweet potato bread pudding is just screaming for a dollop of whipped cream. If you love fall flavors like this, you may also love these Gluten Free Pumpkin Cupcakes.
Sweet Potato Puree
You can use canned sweet potato puree or fresh sweet potato puree. I used canned in this recipe because it has a much smoother texture.
Tip: If you prefer to use fresh roasted sweet potatoes, Make sure you add a little water and then blend them so that they are smoother and without lumps!
How to Roast and Puree Sweet Potato For Baking:
- Wash sweet potatoes (yams will work too in this recipe).
- Pierce the top of each sweet potato with a fork several times to allow hot steam to vent out. (*Super important so you don’t burn your fingers!)
- Bake at 400F degrees for 40-45 minutes, longer if your sweet potatoes are very thick.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cool.
- When they are cool, make a slit down each sweet potato lengthwise.
- Scoop out the sweet potato into a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Whip the sweet potato until it is completely smooth and creamy.
Did you know you can make a delicious dairy-free whipped cream with just a can of cold coconut milk? Just put a can in the refrigerator for a few hours. Whip it up like regular whipping cream.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute coconut oil for butter.
- To make this recipe refined sugar-free, substitute coconut sugar for the brown sugar.
Top it with this sweet potato bread pudding with this light and fluffy Sweet Potato Whipped Cream…it is dairy free and adds just the right flavor to this dessert!
What kind of gluten free bread is best in this gluten free bread pudding recipe?
You can use any gluten free bread in this sweet potato bread pudding recipe. I like to use the ends that we save…but you can use a whole loaf of any kind of gluten free bread.
How long do you bake bread pudding?
I baked this gluten free bread pudding for 20-25 minutes at 350F degrees.
Do you serve bread pudding warm or cold?
That is completely up to you!! I tend to serve it cold, that way the whipped cream doesn’t melt :-).
Shopping List for Gluten Free Sweet Potato Bread Pudding:
- Gluten free bread
- Canned or fresh sweet potato
- Can light coconut milk
- Brown Sugar
(*Please note there are affiliate links in this recipe. Making a purchase using a link will not affect the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog. I truly appreciate your support.)
Things You Need to Make This Recipe:
- 7 cups gluten free bread, cubed
- 1 cup pureed sweet potato, I used a can of organic sweet potato
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add all bread crumbs.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk sweet potato puree, coconut milk, eggs, melted butter, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture over bread crumbs.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Pour into a lightly greased baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until done.
- Top with whipped cream or ice cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 243 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 229mg Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 19g Protein: 4g
(**This post was updated from an older post dated 10/2015.)