This grilled chicken and watermelon over baby kale is a healthy salad that you can enjoy anytime. The sweetness of the watermelon works perfectly with the baby kale to soften the flavors of the kale.
Summer is here and I have been busily working on recipes that don’t involve using my stove or oven. It is just too hot this summer so my grill and I are becoming really good friends lately.
If you have been following me for awhile, you know I am not into fast foods, chemicals, or anything unnatural in my food. My kids joke that I am a nutrition ninja :-). This easy grilled chicken salad with watermelon is a delicious lunch or dinner.
Watermelon is fresh, juicy, and summer is peak season for fresh watermelon. Watermelon is good in so many different recipes, both sweet and savory. It makes a delicious chilled watermelon soup. You can even spike a watermelon and make cocktails at your next party!
Fresh baby kale is delicious and when it is small, it is slightly sweet.
There are many ways you could cook the chicken for this chicken salad recipe. I like to grill my chicken, but you can also use baked chicken, roasted chicken, or boiled chicken for this chicken salad.
How to make grilled chicken salad:
This salad is really easy to make and is ready in under 30 minutes.
How to grill chicken:
Preheat your grill and use the brush to clean the grill grate. I took the fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts and added thyme, salt and pepper. Next, rub olive oil on the chicken and then squeeze lime juice on top. Grill until the temperature of each breast is 165 degrees.
Remove from the grill and place foil over the chicken for 10 minutes to allow it to rest.
Slice the chicken and place on top of the watermelon and baby kale. Drizzle with dressing, feta, and fresh mint.
Click here to see all of the salad recipes on this blog.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 cup watermelon
- 1 package organic baby kale
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + olive oil to coat chicken
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- lime juice to squeeze over the raw chicken
- thyme, salt, and pepper to taste
- Turn grill on to heat up.
- Remove raw chicken breasts and put on a plate.
- Sprinkle salt, thyme, and pepper to taste on each side.
- Rub olive oil over chicken.
- Squeeze a lime over the chicken to add lime flavor.
- Put chicken breasts on grill to cook.
- Put baby kale into a salad bowl.
- Top with watermelon chunks.
- Place cooled chicken breast slices onto salad.
- Top with fresh mint and feta cheese.
- In a small dish, combine lime juice, olive oil and vinegar.
- Mix and sprinkle over salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 766 Total Fat: 51g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 33g Cholesterol: 286mg Sodium: 342mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 67g
More Delicious Salad Recipes to Try!