Aren’t you just loving all of the big juicy heirloom tomatoes in the farmer’s markets lately? This heirloom tomato gazpacho with shishito peppers takes full advantage of the rich juicy flavors.
If you love shishito peppers, you will want to check out my best gluten free shishito pepper recipes too!
You can find heirloom tomatoes in every shape and color from deep red to vibrant yellow, striped green, to deep purple. Heirloom tomatoes are full of flavor, and so much better than regular tomatoes. For this recipe, I used a combination of red and yellow heirloom tomatoes. The flavor is sweet, with a hint of spice from the shishito peppers.
If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know I have a love affair with shishito peppers. I couldn’t resist adding these to my gazpacho. Their mild peppery flavor gives this gazpacho just the right amount of zip, without being spicy.
You can eat them fire or pan roasted with garlic. Just take a bite and toss the stem :-).
You can check out my other recipes using shishito peppers:
How to saute shishito peppers:
Saute shishito peppers and olive oil in a cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Allow skins to blister. Remove the stems and allow to cool. Add to the tomatoes and other ingredients in your Vitamix and blend. The Vitamix blends this soup in just seconds!
What are your favorite pepper recipes? Would shishito pepper substitute for a new fun way to enjoy it?
How to make heirloom tomato gazpacho:
- 2 1/2 cups tomato juice, I tossed heirloom tomatoes into my Vitamix and liquified them to make my juice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 6 large shishito peppers
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1 cup chopped heirloom tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In my vitamix I liquified heirloom tomatoes (about 3 large) I ended up with 2 1/2 cups of juice.
- Add oil, garlic, and vinegar.
- Pulse medium speed until garlic is ground up.
- Add tomatoes, onion, and peppers.
- Pulse on low speed until tomatoes, onion, and peppers are coarse and chunky.
- Serve chilled.
- Garnish with feta and cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 503mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 19g Protein: 4g