Aren’t you just loving all of the big juicy heirloom tomatoes in the farmer’s markets lately? This heirloom tomato and shishito pepper gazpacho takes full advantage of the rich juicy flavors.
You can find heirloom tomatoes in every shape and color from deep red, to vibrant yellow, striped green, to deep purple. Heirloom tomatoes are full of flavor, and so much better than regular tomatoes. For this recipe, I used a combination of red and yellow heirloom tomatoes. The flavor is sweet, with a hint of spice from the shishito peppers.
If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you know I have a love affair with shishito peppers. I couldn’t resist adding these to my gazpacho. Their mild peppery flavor gives this gazpacho just the right amount of zip, without being spicy.
You can eat them fire or pan roasted with garlic. Just take a bite and toss the stem :-).
You can check out my other recipes using shishito peppers:
And if you still need inspriation, here are 8 new ways to fall in love with shishito peppers!
How to saute shishito peppers
Saute shishito peppers and olive oil in a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Allow skins to blister. Remove the stems and allow to cool. Add to the tomatoes and other ingredients in your Vitamix and blend. The Vitamix blends this soup in just seconds!
What are your favorite pepper recipes? Would shishito pepper substitute for a new fun way to enjoy it?
How to make gazpacho
Easy fresh heirloom tomato and shishito pepper gazpacho.
- 2 1/2 cups tomato juice I tossed heirloom tomatoes into my Vitamix and liquified them to make my juice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 6 large shishito peppers
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1 cup chopped heirloom tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In my vitamix I liquified heirloom tomatoes (about 3 large) I ended up with 2 1/2 cups of juice.
- Add oil, garlic, and vinegar.
- Pulse medium speed until garlic is ground up.
- Add tomatoes, onion, and peppers.
- Pulse on low speed until tomatoes, onion, and peppers are coarse and chunky.
- Serve chilled.
- Garnish with feta and cilantro.
Click here to see all of the soup recipes on this blog.