If you are looking for a healthier breakfast that tastes decadent, look no further than this easy Instant Pot Teff Cheese Grits recipe.
Teff and gouda cheese grits topped with a fried egg, sauteed spinach, and pan-fried shiitake and cherry tomatoes is our new favorite breakfast!
(*This post was sponsored by The Teff Company. All drool-worthy opinions are my own.)
Are you looking for a fun new nutritious breakfast idea? This teff cheese grits breakfast is going to become a family favorite! Teff is the star of this recipe and it making teff is so easy in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker!
What is Teff and why is it a fun alternative to corn for grits?
Maskal Teff is a grain that is mostly grown in Ethiopia and Eritrea. Teff seed is a low glycemic teeny tiny grain that is about the size of a poppy seed. Don’t let this small size fool you, teff is a nutrient powerhouse!
Teff is also:
- high resistant starch
- has as much calcium as 1/2 cup of spinach
- full of fiber
- high in protein and iron
The Teff Company’s founder, Wayne Carlson, brought the art of growing teff back here to the U.S. in Idaho. Their Maskal Teff is grown sustainably, organic, and non-GMO certified. You can buy their brown teff and ivory teff, whole grain or as flour.
I love using teff because it is so versatile.”
Add 1/4 cup to pots of soup, use the flour to bake, or even use it as a polenta/grits substitute. I plan to incorporate teff into a lot of my gluten free baking!
All this talk about ways to use teff is making me eager to share this delicious breakfast cheese grits recipe with you!
You are going to first notice there are a lot of flavors in this dish. The ingredients all work together in a flavorful way. From the gouda cheese to the shiitake mushrooms, all the way to the way the sauteed spinach balances it all out.
This is a breakfast everyone will remember! Even better? You can make the teff cheese grits in your Instant Pot!
I have fallen in love with my Instant Pot. It makes meats fall off the bone moist, and it makes cooking grains like teff so easy!
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Teff grain (you can use Ivory Teff or Brown Teff)
- Gouda cheese (not smoked)
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Cherry tomatoes
Are you ready to make this teff cheese grits recipe?
Add the uncooked teff grains to your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
I added 3/4 cup uncooked teff grains and 3 cups of water, and a dash of salt. Press the rice setting and cook. When the teff is ready, follow the safe depressuring instructions for your pressure cooker.
The teff will cook easily on the rice setting. It may look a little liquidy right when you open the Instant Pot. Stir the teff mixture well. It will continue to absorb liquid as it sits with the lid off. I let mine sit for 5 minutes, then added the shredded gouda cheese.
Sauté the spinach in a pan with olive oil and a dash of salt.
While the spinach is cooking, use another pan to sauté the shallots and shiitake mushrooms. When the mushrooms are almost cooked, add the tomatoes.
Fry a sunny side up egg. Once that is cooked it is time to layer all of your ingredients.
Add the teff cheese grits to a plate, add the spinach.
Add the egg, then top with tomato mushroom mixture. Dig in while it is hot!
How to make Teff Cheese Grits:
- 3/4 cup teff grains
- 3 1/2 cups water
- dash salt
- 1/3 cup gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup shiitake, sliced
- 3 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Add teff grains, water, and a dash of salt to your Instant Pot. Cook on the rice setting.
- Depressurize the Instant Pot when it beeps that it is done according to your pressure cooker instructions. They can vary so please make sure you follow your brand's pressure cooker instructions.
- Open the Instant Pot and stir the teff to mix well and remove any lumps. Leave the lid open and move on to cooking the vegetables.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to a non-stick pan and heat it. Add spinach and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté until the spinach is wilted.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to a pan and add diced shallot and shiitake mushrooms. Cook until the shiitake shrink in size and are cooked. Add tomatoes and cook 3 minutes.
- In another pan, add the eggs and cook sunnyside up. Make sure the egg white part is cooked and not translucent.
- Add the gouda to the cooked teff and stir until the cheese is melted in the grits.
- Time to layer! Take a plate and add the teff cheese grits. Add a layer of spinach. Put an egg on top of the spinach. Top with the shiitake and tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 240 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 463mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 2g Protein: 10g
More Delicious Breakfast Recipe Ideas: