This quick and easy creamy gluten free pumpkin soup is not only healthy, but it is ready in under 30 minutes...from raw ingredients to a delicious hearty soup.
If you love soup, don't forget to check out all of my delicious Gluten Free Soup Recipes.
Click for Table of Contents:
The weather is cooling off in the Bay Area now and it is getting cold. Time for fuzzy slippers, sweaters, and warm jackets.
Cold weather = soup in our house.
And even better? You can just toss the ingredients into the pot and let it cook. No roasting and peeling pumpkin, I used a can of organic pumpkin puree as a time saver. You can also use pumpkin to make this delicious gluten free pumpkin bundt cake for dessert!
Pumpkin soup is nutritious and so quick and easy to make! And do you know how to make it even better? Dip a grilled cheese sandwich in it!! You will be in lunch heaven!"
Canned vs Fresh Pumpkin
To save time, I used canned organic pureed pumpkin. Canned organic pumpkin is just as nutritious. Pumpkin is filled with vitamin A and beta-carotene. You are welcome to roast your pumpkin, puree it, and use that for your gluten free soup.
How to Roast a Pumpkin:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Cut a small sugar pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds. (I like the smaller sugar pumpkins for roasting because their flesh softens and is not as stringy as a large carving pumpkin.)
- Use a brush and spread olive oil onto the inside of each pumpkin. Sprinkle salt on each half and place the pumpkin halves in a baking pan.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
- Remove the pumpkin and allow the pumpkin to cool.
- Use a spoon to scrape the roasted pumpkin out and put it into a Vitamix or blender. Add a little water (quantity depends on how thick you want the pumpkin puree to be) so that it purees smoothly. (You can also use a mixer if you prefer, but the blender will get the pumpkin puree smoother.)
My main goal for this soup was to create an easy pumpkin soup that could be ready quickly on a busy school night. Want to try something yummy? Try dipping this Gluten Free Focaccia Bread into this creamy soup!
- Pumpkin puree
- Olive oil
- White wine
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Tapioca starch
- Bay leaf
- Cayenne pepper
- Plain yogurt, full fat
I try to keep a big pot of soup in the refrigerator most of the time. Something that can be quickly reheated for a meal, or even a snack.
More Delicious Soup Recipe Ideas to Try:
Our family has several soups that we seem to make a lot. Sometimes the soup is full of vegetables, like this Country Hamburger Vegetable Soup.
This delicious Chicken Taco Soup makes a great meal. It is ready in just 30 minutes and is a kid-favorite in our house.
Are you ready to make this creamy pumpkin soup recipe?
Can you make this soup dairy-free?
This homemade pumpkin soup recipe is easy to make dairy-free by using a dairy-free yogurt. There are many on the market including brands Kite Hill, Daiya, SoDelicious and more.
More Delicious Gluten Free Pumpkin Recipes to Try:
- Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Dairy-Free and Gluten Free Pumpkin Donuts
- Vitamix, blender, or a hand mixer if you are roasting your own pumpkin.
- A baking sheet for roasting your pumpkin
How to make pumpkin soup:
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 can organic pumpkin puree
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- juice of half an orange
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt, full fat
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add carrots, leek, and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add pureed pumpkin, wine, broth, juice, and seasonings.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Use either an immersion blender or Vitamix to puree soup to smooth texture.
- Use caution not to splash hot soup on yourself. It is hot!
- Turn off heat and add yogurt.
- Stir in and serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 626mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 5g
Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.