This juicy traditional shepherd’s pie is full of wholesome ingredients, nothing canned or processed.
Just pure enjoyable comfort food. And even better, this easy dinner recipe cooks up in a cast iron skillet!
You will love how easy it is to make this cottage pie recipe.
This recipe is naturally gluten free, so no adaptations are needed from my family’s recipe card. This healthy cottage pie recipe is perfect for a family sit down dinner. (If you prefer an easy chicken recipe, try this easy Stovetop Chicken Legs recipe.)
Cottage Pie vs Shepherd’s Pie
I learned something new when I began writing this post. Do you know the difference between a cottage pie and a shepherd’s pie?
My family had always called this a shepherd’s pie. Little did we know that if we made it with ground beef, it is really a cottage pie. The biggest difference between cottage pie and shepherd’s pie is the meat! A shepherd’s pie is almost always made with lamb. A lot of people tend to use the names interchangeably.
Top your pie with gluten free breadcrumbs and it changes names again! The crusty breadcrumbs make it a Cumberland pie.
What’s in a Shepherd’s Pie?
Lots of good stuff, and you can customize it quite a bit. You typically have a meat, like ground beef, lamb, or steak. Top with mashed potatoes.
Vegetables I always include:
- you will often see green beans, peas, and other vegetables too. There is no right or wrong vegetable to use. I have even seen mashed parsnip on top!
This easy recipe for shepherd’s pie with ground beef, aka cottage pie, is really easy to make.
It also freezes well if you make this pie in a different pan. (You don’t want to freeze your cast iron skillet!) You will find this cottage pie is quick to make.
My kids love when we make this dish…it is perfect for a busy school night and nobody leaves the table hungry! Meal prep is easy. Boil potatoes while the ground beef and vegetables are cooking to save time.”
What goes with shepherd’s pie?
See how this shepherd’s pie comes together? It is so easy!
How to make this simple shepherds pie recipe:
Use an electric mixer to whip up the potatoes.
Brown the ground beef with carrots, corn, and onion. (Or get creative and use any vegetables that you have in your refrigerator!!)
It is really easy to layer the ingredients for the cottage pie. Once you have the top covered with mashed potatoes, sprinkle with salt and a little paprika and bake.
Don’t you love all of the easy ingredients? You probably already have most ingredients on hand, if not all.
The seasoning for this cottage pie is also easy. Salt, pepper, paprika.
More Delicious Gluten Free Recipes to Try:
(*Please note, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase with one of these links, it will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog. I truly appreciate your support.)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- A large cast iron skillet. You can cook the meat and vegetables, add potatoes, and toss this skillet right into the oven!
- An electric mixer makes whipping potatoes so easy!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Chop peeled raw potatoes into large chunks and put into a pot. Fill the pot with water to cover the potatoes and put on the stove to boil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add oil to a 12" cast iron skillet. Cook onion, garlic, carrot and corn for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add ground beef and cook on medium heat until browned.
- Add broth and spices and simmer 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add tapioca starch. Mix quickly to avoid lumps.
- When the potatoes are soft when you poke a fork into one, dump into a colander to drain hot water.
- Put the potatoes back into the pot and add butter and cream.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the potatoes until they are thick and creamy.
- Top potatoes onto the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle a little salt and paprika on top of the potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: g
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 467 Saturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 108mg Sodium: 644mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 21g
More Yummy Gluten Free Recipe Ideas