Have you tried Mizu Sushi in San Jose, California? They have delicious sushi and many gluten free options.
I consider Mizu one of those “top shelf” sushi restaurants. They use a very high quality of fish, have a huge fancy drink menu, and the restaurant is just beautiful inside. If you are in the Bay Area, this is definitely a fun, lively place to visit.
I am sure you are wondering if this restaurant can handle gluten free. (**As a fellow gluten free diner, I always recommend that you check with the restaurant to ensure they can handle your tolerance. Our family had good luck dining safely here, but you want to double check all precautions when you dine out anywhere.)
The answer is I really don’t know.
Our family has eaten here many times. We have not had any reactions. That being said…
We drive Mizu’s staff crazy.
There, I said it.
We are those customers that drive fear in waitstaff. Honestly, we never get lucky enough to have the same wait person here so we go through this every time we visit. Our wait person has always made several trips back and forth from the kitchen to get answers to our questions. They never complain and we always learn something new here.
The sushi at Mizu is clearly labeled by ingredient, sometimes we have to figure out the sauces and ask a TON of questions. Real crab is available for a small additional fee. This is important because imitation crab is full of gluten.
Things to know:
1. The miso soup has soy sauce.
2. The seaweed salads aren’t an option because of soy sauce.
3. Their regular salad dressing is safe.
4. If you need extra precautions, like using a clean knife and gloves, ASK! This restaurant is really, really busy. Do the sushi chefs read these precautions? I honestly don’t know. Our family has never had a reaction eating here, but I am always suspect in a crowded busy restaurant.
5. They do have tamari for your sushi.
What are some of our favorites?
My ultimate favorite, the Hot Hawaii Roll with Siracha.
My son’s favorite, the Rainbow Roll.
The San Francisco Roll with real crab meat.
What is your favorite sushi restaurant? What precautions do they take?
While you are here, check out some of the most popular gluten free recipes on my blog