This shiitake mushrooms with a red wine balsamic glaze over polenta is delicious as either an appetizer, or a main dish.
This sauteed shiitake mushroom recipe is a delicious recipe for any occasion.
Our family is trying to eat one vegetarian or vegan dish each week as a way to be more healthy. This has gone over better with some members of our family more than others. One of my kids is adventurous and will at least try most foods, my other one is “the picky one.”
Every family has one of those….
The kid who shuns anything that looks weird, tastes weird, or smells weird.
Well the good news is I didn’t create this dish for my kids this week. The kids are off school for the holidays and have been visiting friends and having sleep overs most days.
This gives Mr. Fearless Dining and I the perfect opportunity for an in-house date night dinner.
This dish is super easy to make, and it is ready in under 30 minutes!
I use a red wine balsamic reduction sauce to cook the shiitake mushrooms. This sauce is delicious over the polenta for a meatless vegan dish, but it would be delicious over chicken or steak as well.
I found these organic polenta rounds at my local Trader Joe’s. Have you tried these yet? It is a huge time saver when making dinner or need an appetizer in a hurry. These polenta rounds crisp up on the edges when baked, making them a wonderful easy to eat appetizer.
I just sliced the polenta into 1/2 inch thick circles and baked in my toaster oven for 15 minutes.
Slice the shallot thinly.
Saute the shallots in olive oil.
Add fresh shiitake, red wine, balsamic vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper.
Simmer on low until the liquid is reduced by 50%.
Easy shiitake mushrooms over polenta appetizer.
- 1 package organic polenta
- 1 package fresh shiitake about 16-18 mushrooms
- 1 small shallot or 1/2 large shallot diced thinly
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Open polenta tube and slice to 1/2 inch thick medallions.
- Place in a baking dish and bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
- In a skillet, add oil and shallots.
- Cook 3 minutes.
- Add wine, vinegar, shiitake, and seasoning.
- Saute until mushrooms are done and liquid is reduced by 1/2.
- Spoon mushroom mixture over each polenta round.
- Serve hot.
There are a lot of delicious recipes to explore this week with Sunday Supper. Please note not every recipe is gluten free. The purpose of Sunday Supper is to bring families together to share a meal, or in my case this week, a romantic date night :-). If you would like help converting a recipe to gluten free, feel free to send me a note and I will help in any way I can.
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by The Crumby Cupcake
- Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Butternut Squash Portobello Tacos with Garlic Sage Cream Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Crème Fraîche and Fried Sage Leaves by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Easy Veggie Bake by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Eggplant Rollatini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Eggplant Rollatini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flourless Oatmeal Nutella Pumpkin Muffins by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma Pizza with Dried Tomatoes by Get the Good Stuff!
- Greek Stuffed Baked Zucchini by The Weekend Gourmet
- Harissa-Roasted Vegetables with Couscous by Caroline’s Cooking
- Moroccan-style Lentil Chickpea Stew by Food Lust People Love
- Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tart by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Polenta with Aged Gouda, Chard & Wild Mushrooms by 30A Eats
- Portobello Stack by The Freshman Cook
- Pumpkin Cake Cheesecake by gotta get baked
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Potato and Spinach Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Shiitake Mushrooms with a Balsamic Glaze Over Polenta by Fearless Dining
- Stuffed Butternut Squash by Life Tastes Good
- Vegan Sandwich with Fresh Veggies by Healing Tomato
- Vegetable Pizza by Feeding Big and more
- Vegetable Strudel by Palatable Pastime
- Vegetarian Chili by Wholistic Woman
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.