This shiitake cauliflower rice risotto recipe is a delicious low-carb alternative to risotto. Even better? You can make this easy cauliflower risotto in just 15 minutes! It is perfect for those busy nights when you need to make dinner quickly!
If you love cauliflower as much as we do, check out all of my delicious Gluten Free Cauliflower recipes!
I am continuing my love affair with Trader Joe's cauliflower rice."
Have you seen this yet?
Riced cauliflower and NO mess! (You can definitely rice your own cauliflower, but bagged really is a huge time saver! You can buy riced cauliflower here, or at most grocery stores.
This low-carb rice substitute is perfect to substitute in my favorite risotto recipe! Mr. Fearless Dining and I are trying to watch our carb intake a bit, but it is hard when you love risotto.
I wasn't sure if the riced cauliflower would hold up and keep its risotto-like texture through cooking, so I decided to try it out. Since there is no need to absorb a ton of liquid, this dish is super fast to make.
If you can't find this bagged version and want to make your own riced cauliflower, just add chunks of cauliflower to a food processor to make your grated cauliflower. This video tutorial shows you how.
- Add some shrimp or other protein and it is a perfect meal for a busy night.
- Look in your refrigerator. I am sure there are vegetables you need to use up. Feel free to use what vegetables you have on hand.
⏲️ Cooking time:
This risotto was ready in under 15 minutes!
If you have a dairy-free favorite parmesan substitute, this dish can be paleo as well if you skip the parmesan.
Saute the onion, garlic, mushroom, and butter.
Add in the riced cauliflower and cook a few minutes. Add the almond milk, cheese, and salt/pepper. Easy peasy!
After the shiitake are cooked and I add the cauliflower rice, I cook it about 5 minutes. Any longer and the riced cauliflower gets mushy.
Here is another recipe you can make with the riced cauliflower. The whole family will love these Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheddar Pancakes.
What does riced cauliflower taste like?
Riced cauliflower does taste like cauliflower, but more subtle as it is in tiny bits.
If you are looking for more dinner ideas:
- This Acorn Squash Risotto is a great way to add veggies to your diet.
- Kids love this easy Mango Chicken with Coconut Cauliflower Rice recipe.
- Here is a delicious budget Gluten Free Paella recipe that everyone will love.
Reader Charity M "Doubled the butter, used ½ package sliced baby bellas and ½ onion, used already pearled onions steamed in bag first, doubled (at least) the parmesean, eyeballed the ¾ milk (used 1%) and added 3 laughing cow wedges for extra creaminess."
This food chopper will rice your cauliflower if you can't find it bagged 🙂
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Shiitake Riced Cauliflower Risotto
- I head cauliflower (riced, or 1 bag of Trader Joe's riced cauliflower)
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3 green onions sliced
- 6-8 fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced thinly
- ¾ cup almond milk I used original organic
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, melt butter and add garlic and green onions.
- Cook 2 minutes and add shiitake mushrooms.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower to pan.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add almond milk and parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Cook until cauliflower is soft, but not mushy. (About 5 more minutes.)
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)