I am still getting lots of shishito peppers in my farm box. I decided it was time to stir fry them. Shishito peppers are very mild. One in ten may be a little spicy, but after working with three pints of these peppers, I have yet to bite into a spicy one.
My kids love stir fries with noodles because it reminds them of dishes they eat out in restaurants. I found a new type of gluten free noodle at our Asian market, Lion Grocery Store. Have you seen these potato and pea starch vermicilli noodles around?
I love trying new foods that I find are gluten free. My kids never suspected these weren’t a regular vermicilli noodle. When shopping at an Asian grocery store, it is important to check ingredients carefully. Most labels should have ingredients in English. If they don’t, just ask someone who works there to translate.
These noodles are simple to cook, and they absorb flavor from any sauce you use.
Follow the directions on the package for cooking vermicilli. Each brand requires different cooking time depending on noodle thickness.
Shishito peppers with stems removed.
Tofu cooking in oil.
Broccoli and shiitake mushrooms.
This is what the red curry paste I use looks like. It is pretty spicy, so if you don’t want a lot of spice, use 1/2 teaspoon.
Easy tofu stir fry with shishito peppers
- 1 container tofu
- 1 package vermicilli noodles
- 1 pint shishito peppers stems removed
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- 1 package fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (make sure it is gluten free not all rice vinegars are.)
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons light oil to fry tofu
- pepper to taste
- Take tofu out of package and wrap in a towel. Put a jar or something heavy on top to press all water out.
- Let tofu sit in press for 30 minutes.
- Put a large pot of water on the stove to boil.
- Chop broccoli and mushrooms.
- Remove stems from shishito peppers.
- In a small bowl, add all sauce ingredients.
- Unwrap tofu and cut into 1 inch squares.
- Toss cornstarch with tofu cubes to coat.
- When water is boiling, add vermicilli and cook to package instructions.
- Dump vermicilli into a strainer and rinse with cool water to halt the cooking process.
- In a wok, heat light oil.
- When oil is hot, add tofu cubes and cook 3-4 minutes on each side.
- When tofu is crispy on each side, remove from pan onto paper towels to absorb extra oil.
- In a large pan, heat sesame oil on medium high heat.
- Add shishito peppers and cook for 5 minutes, tossing to cook each side.
- Add other vegetables and cook until slightly tender.
- Add sauce, noodles, and tofu.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook for 8 minutes, or until vegetables are done.
Yummy Dinner Ideas 🙂