This simple Tofu Shishito Pepper Stir Fry makes a healthy and delicious dinner. The star of this recipe is the shishito pepper. (Only one in ten are spicy, so go ahead and give these peppers a try!) Add in tofu, broccoli, your favorite gluten free Asian noodles like rice vermicelli or Mung Bean vermicelli.
If you love stir fry as much as we do, you will want to try this Gluten Free Beef and Broccoli too!
Why you should try shishito peppers!
I am still getting lots of shishito peppers in my farm box. I decided it was time to stir-fry them. Shishito peppers are very mild. One in ten may be a little spicy, but after working with three pints of these peppers, I have yet to bite into a spicy one. Here are 8 more delicious shishito pepper recipes to try!
Shishito peppers are typically available during the summer season, but many grocery stores like Trader Joes sells them all year round now!”
My kids love stir fries with noodles because it reminds them of dishes they eat out in restaurants. I found a new type of gluten free noodle in our Asian market, Lion Grocery Store. Have you seen these potato and pea starch vermicelli noodles around?
Are Asian Vermicelli Noodles Gluten Free?
I love trying new foods that I find are gluten free. My kids never suspected these weren’t a regular vermicelli noodle.
When shopping at an Asian grocery store, it is important to check the ingredients carefully. Most labels should have ingredients in English. If they don’t, just ask someone who works there to translate.
You can find noodles and vermicelli made with fun gluten free ingredients like:
- Mung Bean
- Potato Starch
These noodles are simple to cook, and they absorb flavor from any sauce you use.
Follow the directions on the package for cooking vermicelli. Each brand requires different cooking time depending on noodle thickness.
Can you eat shishito pepper seeds?
Shishito peppers with stems removed. It is totally fine to eat the seeds so there is no need to remove them!
Cook the tofu in hot oil until it is crispy on each side.
Broccoli and shiitake mushrooms cooking in the skillet. You can also use a wok.
This is what the red curry paste I use looks like. It is pretty spicy, so if you don’t want a lot of spice, use 1/2 teaspoon. (Sorry that pic is so blurry!!)
More Delicious Shishito Pepper Recipes to Try:
- Alaska Cod Shishito Pepper Sheet Pan Dinner
- Blistered Shishito Peppers with Garlic
- Sauteed Chicken with Shishito Pepper Sauce over Cheesy Polenta
- Red Shishito Pepper Soup
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
How to make this shishito pepper stir fry recipe:
- 1 container tofu
- 1 package vermicilli noodles
- 1 pint shishito peppers, stems removed
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 package fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, (make sure it is gluten free not all rice vinegars are.)
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons light oil to fry tofu
- pepper to taste
- Take tofu out of package and wrap in a towel. Put a jar or something heavy on top to press all water out.
- Let tofu sit in press for 30 minutes.
- Put a large pot of water on the stove to boil.
- Chop broccoli and mushrooms.
- Remove stems from shishito peppers.
- In a small bowl, add all sauce ingredients.
- Unwrap tofu and cut into 1 inch squares.
- Toss cornstarch with tofu cubes to coat.
- When water is boiling, add vermicilli and cook to package instructions.
- Dump vermicilli into a strainer and rinse with cool water to halt the cooking process.
- In a wok, heat light oil.
- When oil is hot, add tofu cubes and cook 3-4 minutes on each side.
- When tofu is crispy on each side, remove from pan onto paper towels to absorb extra oil.
- In a large pan, heat sesame oil on medium high heat.
- Add shishito peppers and cook for 5 minutes, tossing to cook each side.
- Add other vegetables and cook until slightly tender.
- Add sauce, noodles, and tofu.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook for 8 minutes, or until vegetables are done.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 340 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1159mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Protein: 14g