Have some fun with this trendy dessert! Your whole family is going to LOVE this gluten free cake mix waffles recipe! Top them with ice cream, hot fudge, and your favorite funfetti sprinkles!
Summer is the time of birthdays in our house. What better way to celebrate the birthday "person" than to make it a special treat? We enjoy birthday cakes as most people do, but for fun, this funfetti waffle can't be beaten!
Colorful sprinkles, ice cream, hot fudge, these colorful waffles are just crazy good! If you love dessert as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free dessert recipes!
If your crew loves waffles and cake, this waffle dessert will be the perfect combination to make everyone happy.
Why This Recipe Is Great:
- You can use ANY store-bought gluten free cake mix to make this recipe!! I used my popular Gluten Free Vanilla Cake recipe, which is also fine.
- These dessert waffles are so fun to make and eat!
- If you don't have a waffle iron, make this as pancakes with a frying pan or cast-iron skillet.
You can make this recipe in two different ways. Here are notes on both ways so you can choose which type of cake waffles to make.
Using Store-Bought Cake Mix
- Gluten Free Cake Mix - You can use any flavor you like. Vanilla is best if you are using sprinkles because the colors show up more.
- Every cake mix requires different liquid ingredients, so if you are using cake mix, you will need to use those ingredients.
Using My Cake Mix Recipe
- Gluten Free Flour Blend - If you are using my recipe instead of a gluten free box cake mix, you need to use a good gluten free flour blend. I tested this recipe with both King Arthur Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1:1 GF Blend. Other blends will work, but you may need to keep an eye on the moisture level because some mixes are starchier than others.
- Xanthan Gum - If your mix or recipe doesn't contain xanthan or guar gum, add 1 teaspoon.
- Baking Powder - I recommend using aluminum-free. It makes a big difference in flavor. Also, be sure your baking powder is not expired. You check out this article to read more about which baking powder is gluten free.
- Salt - You can use sea salt or kosher salt.
- Eggs - Use size large.
- Sugar - Don't use coarse sugar.
- Milk - You can use regular milk or non-dairy milk in this recipe if you want these to be dairy-free.
- Butter or Coconut Oil - Use either one you have on hand, but if you use butter, use unsalted.
- Sprinkles - Not all sprinkles are gluten free so be sure to see this post on gluten free sprinkles.
Recipe Step By Step Directions:
Step 1: Pour your dry ingredients into a large
Step 2: Add the butter or coconut oil to a microwave-safe medium
Step 3: Add the wet ingredients to the bowl and mix them together well. Add your sprinkles to this mixture too.
Step 4: Pour your wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix them together.
Step 5: Every waffle maker is a bit different. Preheat your waffle iron as listed in the manufacturer's directions.
Step 6: Add the cake batter to the hot waffle iron. Close the lid and allow it to cook for 3-5 minutes until the waffle is cooked. If you use a lot of waffle batter, you may need to cook it longer.
Don't forget, you can make these as pancakes if you don't have a waffle iron!!
Step 7: Carefully remove the waffle from the waffle iron. Top your waffle with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge! Waffle sundaes are all the rage and kids love them!
Drizzle on the hot fudge, caramel sauce, this creamy vanilla sauce, or even a homemade berry sauce!
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
If you love funfetti waffles as much as we do, make sure you use => gluten free sprinkles. It never occurred to me to check this, but you do need to be careful. Some brands of sprinkles are made on shared equipment!
These funfetti waffles will keep fresh for up to 4 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container in your freezer.
This post was updated from an old June 2017 post with more details and options.
More Delicious Waffle Iron Recipes to Try!
Gluten Free Birthday Cake Mix Waffles
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- ¼ cup almond flour * see note
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- ½ cup almond milk * see note
- Pre-heat a waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients. Whisk to blend.
- In a medium sized bowl, add all of the wet ingredients. Whisk to blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the sprinkles and mix well.
- Add a little batter to the hot waffle iron and cook for 4 minutes until done. Use the rest of the batter to continue making waffles.
- Top with ice cream and hot fudge. Sprinkle more rainbow sprinkles on. Enjoy!
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- I highly suggest using almond flour and not almond meal. Almond meal is more coarse and will make your waffles grainy.
- I used almond milk but other dairy-free kinds of milk will work but I do not recommend canned coconut milk.
- These waffles will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
We wanted to try these waffles but we didn’t have any ice cream or fudge so we had them plain and they were delicious! Thank you for sharing!
I am so glad you enjoyed these waffles. They are definitely fun!
Agness of Run Agness Run
Waffles are my favourite treat! Your recipe seems finger-licking, Sandi!
Thank you so much Agness 🙂