No matter what the occasion, your family is going to LOVE these gluten free funfetti cake mix waffles! Use this easy homemade gluten free cake recipe and pull out your waffle iron!
Colorful sprinkles, ice cream, hot fudge, these colorful waffles are just crazy good! If you love dessert as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free dessert recipes!
Summer is the time of birthdays in our house. What better way to celebrate the birthday "person" than to make to a special treat? We enjoy birthday cakes as most people do, but for fun, this funfetti waffle can't be beaten!
Now please don't think I am a terrible mom for making this sugary treat for breakfast. It is summer and my teens sleep super late right now. They usually stumble out of bed early to eat, then they go back to bed. This is the "second breakfast" celebration :-). Keep reading below...I made a video to show you how easy these waffles are to make!!
Gluten Free Waffles For Dessert
Why should waffles only be for breakfast? All you need is a waffle iron or frozen waffles to make new and interesting things. My son created this fun recipe for waffle cones because a few years ago, you couldn't buy gluten free ice cream cones. The frozen gluten free waffles flatten to make awesome waffle ice cream cones!
If your crew loves waffles and cake, this waffle dessert is the perfect combination to make everyone happy. I used a wonderful gluten free cake recipe of mine to make the waffle batter for this recipe. (And if you really want a great traditional gluten free birthday cake, my gluten free vanilla cake recipe is the recipe you need to make.)
Recipe step by step directions:
Pour your dry ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk to blend.
Add the wet ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
Pour your wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
Add your waffle batter to a waffle iron. Allow cooking for 5 minutes until the waffle is cooked. If you use a lot of waffle batter, you may need to cook it longer.
Carefully remove the waffle from the waffle iron. Top with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge!
Are sprinkles gluten free?
How fun is this with all of the colorful rainbow sprinkles? We hope you like these funfetti waffles as much as we do! Definitely make sure you use => gluten free sprinkles. It never occurred to me to check this, but you do need to be careful. Some brands of sprinkles are made on shared equipment!
More Delicious Waffle Iron Recipes to Try!
Gluten Free Birthday Cake Mix Waffles
- Pre-heat a waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients. Whisk to blend.
- In a medium sized bowl, add all of the wet ingredients. Whisk to blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the sprinkles and mix well.
- Add a little batter to the hot waffle iron and cook for 4 minutes until done. Use the rest of the batter to continue making waffles.
- Top with ice cream and hot fudge. Sprinkle more rainbow sprinkles on. Enjoy!
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- I highly suggest using almond flour and not almond meal. Almond meal is more coarse and will make your waffles grainy.
- I used almond milk but other dairy-free kinds of milk will work but I do not recommend canned coconut milk.
- These waffles will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)