If you love oatmeal for breakfast, this healthy gluten free sweet potato and maple pecan oatmeal is a wonderful way to start your day.
Breakfast in our house has its ups and downs lately. We rush around scrambling to get the kids ready for school. We always are on the lookout for healthy, delicious recipes that will keep our kids full. Oats are great in not only breakfast recipes, but in snacks as well. (*Just make sure your oats are certified gluten free!)
Nutrition is important because it is what keeps the kids going through their long classes. Getting hungry isn’t fun, and it doesn’t help concentration. That is why I love this easy oatmeal recipe. It is satisfying comfort food that prevents hunger :-).
This delicious oatmeal recipe has lots of pureed sweet potato and pecans to keep our kids filled up until snack time. And even better, your kids will have no idea you hid sweet potato in this :-). The maple syrup blends in and adds to the sweetness of the sweet potatoes. You will love this gluten free oatmeal recipe even more when you see how easy it is to make.
In this recipe I used Trader Joe’s ancient grain super seed gluten free oatmeal. It is completely fine to use regular gluten free oatmeal for this recipe, but feel free to add 1 tablespoon chia seeds and other seeds like sunflower or pepitas to your recipe.
Easy oatmeal recipe with sweet potato, maple and pecan.
- 1 1/3 cup light coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup Ancient Grain and Super Seed Oatmeal (*Note I used Trader Joe's Ancient Grain Oatmeal. If you use another brand of oatmeal
- 1 cup sweet potato puree I used a can of organic sweet potato puree because it is so smooth
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- maple syrup and pecans to top
- In a sauce pan, heat coconut milk, water, sweet potato and coconut sugar over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add oatmeal.
- Cook per package instructions.
- Serve warm with maple syrup and pecans on top.
If you would like to try another oatmeal recipe, give this Creamy Cardamom Oatmeal recipe a try.
More Yummy Gluten Free Recipes with Oats to Try!