Who doesn’t love a fluffy and flavorful gluten free frittata? Add in your favorite things like tomatoes, mushrooms, and Swiss cheese and it is almost perfect. Bacon, definitely. You are going to love this bacon frittata even more.
Cooking Frittata in a Broiler
I like to watch frittatas when they fluff up high. It is so tempting to put my fork into the pan to steal a taste. Once they are removed from the heat, they tend to sink back down to half of their mass.
This morning I decided to see what Chef Watson would give me when I plugged in heirloom tomatoes and Swiss cheese. He gave me lots of interesting choices to tweak including this frittata recipe.
I am helping to train Chef Watson by testing out the recipes he develops with my search ingredients. His recipes often need tweaking of ingredient quantities. He also has no knowledge of how gluten free ingredients, especially flours, work together in baking. I learn as well as he is a wizard at blending unusual ingredient combinations together.
This recipe is very easy to make.
Cooking up the bacon and mushrooms.
A small mountain of fresh grated Swiss cheese.
The frittata egg mixture with thyme.
Here is the Frittata cooking on the stove.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 7 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 heirloom tomato, sliced thinly.
- Preheat broiler.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt the butter.
- Add mushrooms and bacon pieces to the skillet.
- Cook on medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, spices, and milk.
- Set aside until the mushrooms and bacon are finished.
- Add egg mixture to the pan.
- Put the heirloom tomato slices on top of the egg mixture.
- Pull up the sides so the egg mixture can run underneath to cook.
- Do not stir or scramble the eggs.
- When the egg is done, add cheese and put the skillet under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 283 Saturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 205mg Sodium: 428mg Carbohydrates: 5g Sugar: 2g Protein: 16g
What ingredients do you like to cook in your frittata?