Quinoa breakfast bowls are a healthy way to start the day. If you have a lot of leftover quinoa, a quinoa breakfast bowl is a delicious and healthy way to use it up. This breakfast recipe is vegan and gluten free.
Don’t forget to check out all of my delicious gluten free breakfast recipes. Breakfast is one of my favorite meals to make :-).
I was developing a recipe for a grain company this past week and I made three cups of their organic red quinoa. My family (aka kids) are not that fond of quinoa so I had my work cut out to make something that everyone would enjoy.
Do you have that one thing you like, but all the others in your family boycott it? Our family only has three foods in this category: brussels sprouts, kale, and quinoa.
It is almost like George Carlin’s dirty words list. If I mention any of these three words, forget anyone to come downstairs for dinner.
Wait, wait…Mr. Fearless Dining said there is a fourth one. He almost doesn’t want to say it out loud because the thought of it makes him want to retch. (I couldn’t make this up if I tried!)
Swiss Chard!! (and off he runs!)
Yup. That is my family. Want to borrow them so I can eat my Brussels sprouts in peace??
(*You will see what I made for that company later this week, but suffice to say…I didn’t use three cups of quinoa in it!!)
But as you can see, I have digressed far from the delicious quinoa breakfast bowl recipe I intended to write about.
My first thought was to make something different and a little sweet. As I went back and forth between my pantry and my refrigerator, I decided a breakfast would be a fun to try. If all else fails, I could sweeten it up into a pudding or dessert :-).
Feel free to get creative with this quinoa breakfast bowl recipe.
- If you like it sweeter, add more brown sugar or coconut sugar.
- Like it creamier, cut down on the oatmeal or quinoa.
- If you hate quinoa like my kids….don’t serve it to them :-).
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes to Try:
- Quick and Easy Pear Smoothie Bowl
- Gluten Free Buckwheat Pear Pancakes
- Apple Crisp Overnight Oats
- Healthy Gluten Free Breakfast Donuts
How to Make a Quinoa Breakfast Bowl:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 1 can coconut milk, (I used regular coconut milk not light)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, you could also use coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a saucepan, heat coconut milk to low boil.
- Add all of the ingredients in.
- Lower temperature and simmer until oatmeal is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with banana, nuts, or other fruit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 283 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 16mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 9g Protein: 6g
More Yummy Breakfast Ideas to Try!