Do you love portobello mushrooms? This easy stuffed portobello mushroom recipe is a delicious healthy dinner. It is naturally gluten free and vegetarian.
There is something about a portobello mushroom that speaks to me. They are earthy and healthy. And even better, they can hold lots of tasty fillings 🙂 .
Today was the day to use up the vegetables in the refrigerator before our new farm box arrived. I have to do this every Thursday. We order a pretty large farm box, plus I buy vegetables at a local produce market each week.
Even though we eat quite a few vegetable dishes each day, there are always a few stragglers we just don’t get to until the last minute.
I wanted to try to make a vegetarian dish with the portobellos. The gluten free stuffing I created uses up some of the vegetables I had and provides enough protein to make this a hearty meatless meal.
Our family doesn’t eat a lot of vegetarian meals unless you count pasta and parmesan. (My son is a die-hard carnivore and my daughter is just too picky.) Since my husband and I both work from home, I took advantage of the kids being in school and made this easy stuffed mushroom recipe for my husband and me to enjoy.
Stuffed and ready to bake!
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- 6 fresh shitake mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup gluten free panko
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 7 basil leaves, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup raw pecan pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray oil on a 8x8 baking dish.
- Remove stems from portobello mushrooms and chop.
- Put all ingredients, except portobello caps, into a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Put portobello mushroom caps onto baking dish.
- Fill each mushroom cap until topping is piled high.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until mushrooms are done.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 172 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 59mg Sodium: 523mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 9g
I hope you enjoy these stuffed portobello mushrooms as much as we did.
More Yummy Gluten Free Recipes to Try!