Gluten Free Date Scones with Coconut and Pecans
Date scones with coconut and pecans are light and flaky, with a little nutty crunch. Perfect with a cup of coffee. You'll want to make a double batch of this gluten free scones recipe!
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- ½ cup sugar use ¼ if you use sweetened coconut.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder aluminum free
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter cold
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- ½ cup roasted pecans
- ½ cup chopped dates
Preheat oven to 350º F.
In a large bowl add all dry ingredients.
Whisk to blend.
Add butter in chunks to the flour.
Using a pastry blender, cut butter into the dough until the flour mixture is grainy.
Add wet ingredients and mix ins and stir to blend.
Put a piece of parchment paper onto a cookie sheet.
Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and shape it to a round flattened circle about 2 inched tall.
Use a sharp knife to cut slices into the dough (as shown in above photograph.)
Bake for 25-30 minutes until done.
When scones are cooled down, use a knife along cut marks.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan Gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the scones. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done baking. If you see batter or crumbs, the scones need to bake longer.
- I used almond milk but other dairy-free kinds of milk will work but I do not recommend canned coconut milk.
- These scones will keep up to 3 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Serving: 1gCalories: 527kcalCarbohydrates: 64gProtein: 8gFat: 30gSaturated Fat: 15gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 321mgPotassium: 326mgFiber: 7gSugar: 33gVitamin A: 558IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 135mgIron: 2mg