Stuffed Kabocha Squash
A kabocha squash roasted and stuffed with corn, tomatoes, black beans and chiles.
- 1 kabocha squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 ounces Del Monte® Fiesta Corn drained
- 1 onion diced
- 14 ounces Del Monte® Diced Tomatoes
- 14 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup cheddar cheese Daiya if you are vegan
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Cut the top off a kabocha squash and remove the seeds. Brush with one tablespoon olive oil and bake for 20 minutes. (Bake the lid stem side up too!)
In a pan, heat the last tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the corn, tomatoes, black beans and seasoning. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove the squash from the oven.
Stuff the corn mixture into the squash. Top with the cheese or cheese substitute. Put the lid onto the squash and bake for another 20 minutes.
Methods of cooking kabocha squash:
The first step to making this recipe is to cook the winter squash.
- You can roast the kabocha squash in the oven as I did for this recipe.
- If you are in a hurry, cut the squash open and scoop out the seeds. Place in a microwave-safe dish. Add a little water to the bottom of the dish. Microwave for 10 minutes until the squash is soft.
- Toss the kabocha squash on the grill. Follow the same steps above to remove the seeds, then grill on medium heat. Make sure to keep the lid down on the grill so it gets hot inside!
Serving: 1gCalories: 303kcalCarbohydrates: 48gProtein: 13gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 560mgPotassium: 1086mgFiber: 11gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 2603IUVitamin C: 30mgCalcium: 161mgIron: 4mg