Easy Mexican Style Chicken Soup
A simple one pot Mexican Style Chicken Soup recipe that can be made stovetop or in an Instant Pot.
- 2 chicken breasts (raw)
- 14 ounces can diced tomatoes * see note
- 32 ounces chicken broth * see note
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can green chilis * see note
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup corn
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups water
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup scallions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 ounces kidney beans rinsed and drained
In a pot on medium heat, add oil, onion, scallions, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes until onion turns clear.
Add the rest of the ingredients, including raw chicken. Cover and bring to a boil.
Boil the soup for 15 minutes, then turn the temperature to simmer. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the soup onto a cutting board. Shred both chicken breasts and add back to the soup. Simmer 5 minutes.
Serve hot. Garnish with sour cream and Jalapeños.
To cook this recipe in an Instant Pot, follow the directions in my Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe. The directions are the same.
- You can use canned green chiles or fire roast your green chiles at home.
- I used chicken breasts but you can use any bones chicken parts to make this soup.
- I recommend using low sodium chicken broth.
- This soup will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Serving: 1gCalories: 187kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 18gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 869mgPotassium: 698mgFiber: 5gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 472IUVitamin C: 16mgCalcium: 63mgIron: 4mg