Best Gluten Free Fried Chicken Recipe
This is the best gluten free fried chicken recipe ever. One bite of this crispy, juicy gluten free fried chicken and you will be hooked!
- 8-10 pieces Bone-in chicken of your choice
- 1 cup buttermilk (*see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- dash of salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups hot oil for frying (*see note)
Put all ingredients (except chicken) into a bowl and whisk until fluffy.
Put the raw chicken into a large dish and pour the marinade over the butchered chicken.
Move chicken around to make sure all of the raw chicken is all covered in the marinade.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours.
Drain marinaded chicken in a large strainer.
Place chicken in the tapioca flour and toss it around to cover the whole piece of chicken.
Let the chicken rest 2-3 minutes on a baking pan.
Gently heat oil in a pre-seasoned cast iron skillet. If you have a deep fryer, that is great! I would use that instead. The oil should be 350-375 F degrees before adding the chicken pieces.
Fry the chicken for 10 minutes on one side. Flip the chicken to cook the other side another 10 minutes. (Do this if you are not fully submerging your chicken in the hot oil. After you cook each side of the chicken, check the internal temperature of 165 F degrees. The total cook time would be around 20 minutes, but it depends on the cut of chicken you are using. If you are deep frying the chicken it will take less time for your chicken to cook.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Many ask if you can use cornstarch instead of tapioca, this should be okay.
- If you do not have buttermilk, you can make your own by mixing 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- If you like your chicken extra crispy, double-dip it! After doing one dip in the tapioca starch, put back into the buttermilk, then redip into the tapioca starch.
- Use an oil that is made to tolerate high heat. Canola, avocado, and coconut oil are all great high heat oils for frying. (Note if you use coconut oil it will impart a flavor where canola and avocado oil are tasteless.)
- You want your hot oil temperature to reach between 350-375 F degrees before adding the chicken.
- This fried chicken will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. To reheat, put onto a baking sheet, cover with foil (to prevent burning the crispy coating), and bake in the oven at 325 F degrees for 20 minutes. Check to see if it is heated all the way through.
Serving: 1gCalories: 566kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 1gFat: 57gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 32mgPotassium: 41mgSugar: 1gVitamin A: 76IUCalcium: 35mgIron: 1mg