Grandma's Homemade Chicken Soup
An easy homemade chicken soup made from scratch. Grandma's chicken soup recipe is easy to make using a whole chicken and vegetables.
- 1 whole chicken raw
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 carrots chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 quart chicken broth low sodium
- 4 cups water
- parsley is optional
Add a whole raw chicken to a large stock pot.
Add all ingredients, cover and simmer on medium low until it boils.
Once the soup is boiling, turn down the temperature to low and simmer for 2 hours.
Remove the chicken to a pan. Do this carefully so the chicken doesn't fall apart. Cut the chicken meat into pieces and add back to the soup. Garnish with fresh parsley if you like.
Serve hot. (My grandmother served it over rice, this is totally optional.)
- This recipe uses a whole raw chicken. The chicken cooks directly in the soup making the broth full of rich chicken flavors!
- If you do not have a whole chicken, you can use chicken parts. The soup will taste the best if you use bone-in chicken parts. The bone broth is what adds to the flavor.
- You can use fresh herbs or dried.
- I like to add a small rutabaga sometimes for a flavor boost. It is totally optional but if you try this, peel the rutabaga first.
- This chicken soup is even better the next day.
- This soup will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Serving: 1gCalories: 188kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 15gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 892mgPotassium: 337mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 5226IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 33mgIron: 1mg