Kid-Friendly Ginger Peas
A delicious homemade ginger peas and shiitake mushroom recipe. It makes an incredible kid-friendly side dish for any meal.
- 1 ½ cups fresh peas *see note
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- ⅓ cup shiitake mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or vegan butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
If your peas are still in their pods, you will need to shuck them first.
Add the butter and mushrooms to a large skillet and cook on medium heat for 4 minutes.
Add the peas and the rest of the ingredients Bring to a boil, about 3 minutes
Cover and turn the heat to simmer for another 8 minutes. Serve hot.
- You can use fresh or frozen peas for this recipe. I do not advise using canned peas as they are salted and somewhat mushy.
- Use butter, vegan butter, or any light oil but I would skip any strongly flavored oils like coconut.
- If you do not have fresh ginger on-hand, you can substitute ¼ teaspoon ground ginger.
- This peas side dish will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Serving: 1gCalories: 77kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 3gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 176mgPotassium: 190mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 503IUVitamin C: 22mgCalcium: 14mgIron: 1mg