Gluten Free Fried Pickles
These crispy gluten free fried pickles make a deliciously fun appetizer! I include directions for both air frying and deep frying the pickles.
- 8 pickles Size: large
- ⅓ cup gluten free panko * see note
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil for spraying the air fryer
Break an egg into a bowl. Whisk to scramble it.
Add the gluten free panko, parmesan, and seasonings to a bowl and whisk to blend.
Dip a pickle wedge into the egg and use a fork to turn it over a few times to coat the whole pickle.
Place the pickle into the panko mixture. Cover in panko to fully coat the pickle spear.
HINT: If you want your fried pickles even crispier, double-dip them! Repeat steps 3 and 4 so there is a double layer of egg and crispy panko coating!
Spray the air fryer basket with oil. Use an oil that can handle high heat like avocado, canola, or coconut oil. Do NOT use olive oil as that is one oil that doesn't do well in high heat.
Spray the tops of the breaded pickles and close the drawers. (My Ninja Foodi Air Fryer has two different side-by-side drawers for cooking.) Cook at 370º F for 13 minutes.
- For this recipe, you can buy pickles already sliced, or buy whole pickles and slice your own. You can cut them into spears or cut in round circle wedges.
- You can use gluten free panko, bread crumbs, or even the new pork rind bread crumbs.
Fry them in oil:
If you prefer to fry these in oil, here are the directions:
- Follow the above directions to bread your pickles.
- Pour a light oil into a cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven. Be sure to use a high heat oil like avocado or canola!
- Heat the oil to 375º F.
- Gently drop in a few breaded pickle spears into the hot oil. It may spatter so be very careful.
- Don't let the pickles touch.
- Cook for 1- 1 ½ minutes then flip the pickles over to cook the other side.
- Remove gently and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
Serving: 1wedgeCalories: 39kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 1gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 394mgPotassium: 32mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 73IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 31mgIron: 1mg