gluten free caramel apple donuts
These delicious gluten free caramel apple donuts are easy to make in a donut pan, baked in the oven, or a donut maker. Topped with a thick creamy caramel!
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- 2 teaspoons baking powder * see note
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup applesauce unsweetened
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk
- ¾ cup apple * see note
- ⅔ cup caramel * see note
- ½ cup sugar (white or brown both work well)
Add your dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend them together.
In a microwave-safe dish, melt your butter until it is warm, but not hot. Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix it well.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add your chopped apple bits. (I peeled my apples but you can easily leave the peels on.)
Mix the apple donut batter. Mix the batter until it is just barely mixed. Overmixing will make your donuts turn out denser.
Add the batter to a piping bag or a plastic bag. (If using the plastic bag, snip the corner off before piping into the donut pan.) Pipe the batter into the donut pan.
Bake the donuts at 350º F for 20-22 minutes, depending on how large and deep your donut pan is. Allow the donuts to cool on a rack.
Melt your caramel in a microwave-safe dish. Dip each donut into the caramel. You can also drizzle the caramel on if you prefer less caramel. Be careful, the caramel is HOT!
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Baking powder - I use aluminum-free. It leaves less of an aftertaste.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- These donuts will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
- I used Kraft caramel squares (like the ones used for caramel apples). You can also make your own caramel sauce. I included a recipe in my post.
- It is optional if you want to peel your apples.
Serving: 1donutCalories: 198kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 3gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 97mgPotassium: 119mgFiber: 3gSugar: 19gVitamin A: 152IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 68mgIron: 1mg