Crispy Gluten Free Baked Eggplant Slices
An easy gluten free crispy eggplant recipe made on your waffle iron.
- 1 ½ cup gluten free panko * see note
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup marinara
- ⅓ cup parmesan
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil spray
Preheat the waffle iron.
Slice the eggplant thinly.
Add eggs to a bowl and whisk to blend. Set aside.
Add gluten free panko and spices to another bowl and whisk to blend.
Take an eggplant round. Dip in the egg, turning it to coat both sides.
Next, dip the egg covered eggplant in the panko mixture.
Spray the waffle iron with cooking oil. (I used avocado oil.)
Drop the eggplant round in the waffle iron. Cook 5-7 minutes until crispy.
Top with your favorite marinara sauce, parmesan, and fresh basil. Serve hot.
Waffle maker tips:
- If you do not have a waffle iron, feel free to pan fry these eggplant slices.
- You can use gluten free panko, or make your own gluten free bread crumbs.
- These eggplant slices will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
- You will need your waffle iron to be on a high-temperature setting.
- Depending on your waffle iron, you may have to push down on it for a couple of minutes to soften the eggplant enough for the lid to stay down flat.
- Spray coconut oil or olive oil on the waffle iron to give a nice crisp to the gluten free panko coating.
- Remember the waffle iron is hot so add and remove the eggplant carefully!
- Don't forget to unplug the waffle iron when you are done cooking with it!
Serving: 1gCalories: 151kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 3gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 513mgPotassium: 296mgFiber: 4gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 174IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 55mgIron: 1mg