Easy Ground Turkey Chili Shakshuka
An easy poached egg recipe using turkey chili.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Total Time 30 mins
Course Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes
Servings 6 servings
Calories 397 kcal
- 1 pound ground turkey * see note
- 1 onion diced
- 1 orange pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 28 ounce can peeled tomatoes * see note
- 14 ounces pinto beans
- 14 ounces black beans
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar cheese
In a cast iron skillet, add olive oil and allow to heat 1 minute. Add ground turkey, garlic, peppers, green chiles, and diced onion.
Cook for 5 minutes until onion is soft and ground turkey is cooked.
Add spices, tomatoes, beans, and chilis. Bring to a boil.
Allow to boil for 3-5 minutes then reduce the heat to simmer.
Simmer for 20 minutes. Add 4 raw eggs.
Allow eggs to poach in the chili for 5 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat and put under a broiler for 5 minutes. After 2 ½ minutes, add grated cheddar and then put back under the broiler for the remaining 2 ½ minutes.
Enjoy hot, garnish with sour cream.
- You can use any ground meat. Feel free to use ground chicken, beef, pork, or even bison!
- Canned tomatoes are all good, but the Cento brand has a lot more flavor.
- Make it spicy with roasted hatch green chiles and sriracha!
- This will keep fresh up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Store in an air-tight container.
Serving: 1gCalories: 397kcalCarbohydrates: 43gProtein: 37gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 714mgPotassium: 1149mgFiber: 14gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1323IUVitamin C: 40mgCalcium: 172mgIron: 6mg
Keyword chili shaksuka, ground turkey shakshuka