Jello is a popular dessert made from gelatin. It is a fun treat for almost everyone. It is irresistible because of its bright colors and fun flavors. Since jello is a trendy dessert, many want to know if jello is gluten free?
What is Jello?
Jello is produced from gelatin which is a protein produced from animal collagen. Collagen is the main protein in the connective tissues, abundant in body parts like the skin, bones, ligaments, tendons, hair, and nails.
Gelatin is made with the bones and hides of animals like cattle and pigs. It is treated with chemicals to become a gel. This gel is later filtered, evaporated, dried, and ground. It is now fine, brittle, colorless, and odorless solid gelatin.
The gelatin obtained is then sweetened, flavored, colored, and boxed. When Jello powder is added to boiling water, then cooled, forming a semi-solid gelatinous substance, with a wiggly texture called jello. Sugar-free jello is made with aspartame replacing sugar.
Jello is definitely NOT vegan, so many who are vegan use vegan gelatin made from agar. If you love sweets, you can check out what candy is gluten free.
Answer: Is Jello Gluten Free?
The good news is jello is gluten free! It can be eaten and enjoyed by those with both celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Also, note that vegan jello is also gluten free!
Jello is also dairy-free and egg-free, making it a great dessert for those with other food allergies. Many hospitals offer jello to patients coming out of surgery or procedures because it is so mild on the stomach.
If you are celiac or gluten-sensitive, always read the label, as it is possible for cross-contamination scenarios of jello. It is usually produced in a company with other gluten-containing products or a company with traces of gluten. If the jello is gluten free, be listed on the ingredients label.
- Kraft Foods. It is a renowned producer of jello in the United States with popular jello like JELL-O Strawberry, JELL-O Vanilla Instant, JELL-O Blueberry Gelatin, and JELL-O Sugar-Free Citrus Gelatin Mix.
- Knox Gelatine. It adds no additives to its jello.
- Great Lakes Kosher Gelatin (for those who want to flavor their own!)
- Simply Delish (vegan)
Jello has a wriggly texture and is a colorful and flavorful dessert. It is popular in the United States, especially with kids. It is gluten-free, which is a great relief for the gluten-sensitive population. However, gluten-sensitive persons should always read the label as it is possible for cross-contamination scenarios of jello.
How To Enjoy Jello:
- Jello can be purchased premade or buy a packaged powder and make one yourself. Jello can be eaten in different ways based on the product in question. They can be scooped out using a spoon or just handpicked and eaten if they come diced as cubes.
- Another favorite way to enjoy jello is using it to make jello shots! A jello shot is an alcoholic beverage made by mixing gelatin and alcohol and doing it as a shot. Vodka jello shot is one of the most popular jello shots made using vodka as a source of alcohol.
- Try it in this Jello Parfait recipe.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)