The flavors of creamy corn chowder, with a hint of spice from roasted green chiles, combine to make a deliciously easy fall soup. This Canned Corn Chowder recipe is ready in under 20 minutes, making it perfect for any time!
(This post has been sponsored by Del Monte Foods, Inc. All thoughts and opinions are my own.)
I am so excited that Thanksgiving is around the corner. Time flies by so quickly, even though it can be harder to tell here in the Bay Area. We don’t get all of the beautiful vivid fall foliage here, but the cooler days are a sure sign!
Today you are in for a special treat because I am sharing my grandmother’s secret Corn Chowder with Creamed Corn recipe. In the old days, she made her corn chowder from canned cream of corn.
I am not sure if it was the convenience or if that is just what she just had on-hand…but I will always remember this soup as our family’s’ comfort food. Del Monte® Fresh Cut® Golden Sweet Corn Cream Style helps me bring her recipe to life.
I did jazz up her recipe a little bit because if you have been following my blog for a little while, you know I love spice.
Creamy Corn Chowder
Do you have a family recipe that brings back memories? This soup does it every time for me. When making this soup, quality matters. I love to use Del Monte Fresh Cut Golden Sweet Corn Cream Style. It ensures the perfect soup every time.
The corn is picked at the peak of freshness. Del Monte grows with family farms; many of these farms have grown for Del Monte for generations, and they preserve the wholesome goodness you’d expect from your own backyard garden.
This year, we are serving grandma’s corn chowder as the first course at our Thanksgiving dinner. What better way to remember her than through her recipes? This canned corn chowder recipe is so easy and convenient to make.
Corn chowder ingredients you need to make this recipe:
- Del Monte® Fresh Cut® Golden Sweet Corn Cream Style
- Green chiles
- Queso Fresco
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Sour Cream
- Tapioca Starch
Are you ready to see how easy this canned cream corn soup is to make?
- The first step is to fry the leeks and garlic in a little avocado oil. (*You can use any high-heat oil for this.)
- Add two cans of Del Monte Fresh Cut Golden Sweet Corn Cream Style green chiles, chicken broth, cilantro, and seasonings to a pot. (Do not drain the creamed corn.)
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add tapioca starch, then reduce to a simmer for another 10 minutes.
The soup will become thick and delicious in no time!
Pour the soup into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream, crumbled bacon, and fresh chopped cilantro.
View more Del Monte holiday recipes here.
How to make Grandma’s Corn Chowder Recipe:
The first step is to sauté the leeks and garlic in olive oil over medium heat. cook for 3 minutes until the leeks are softened.
Add the corn chowder ingredients into a soup pot. Stir in the leeks and garlic. Stir to mix it all together and bring to a boil.
Once the soup is boiling, turn the heat down to low, add the cheese, and simmer. Serve hot with sour cream and crumbled bacon garnish
- 2 cans Del Monte Fresh Cut Golden Sweet Corn Cream Style
- 2 tablespoons green chiles
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1/3 cup Queso Fresco cheese (or any flavorful cheese like cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/4 cups leeks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish Options: Sour Cream & Bacon
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add leeks and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add corn and the rest of the ingredients (except the cheese).
- Cover and bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add the cheese and allow to simmer and melt in for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with a sour cream, bacon, and cilantro garnish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 154 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 28mg Sodium: 873mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 7g