These tasty gluten free walking tacos will be a big hit any time. Your family and friends will love this fun walking taco bar! If you haven't heard of a walking taco, it is a cup or bag filled with all of the taco fixings. You can carry these tacos around, and they are easy to eat.
(*This post is sponsored by Pioneer, who is branching out with yummy certified gluten free gravies and seasonings with a bang! All delicious opinions are my own.)
I am so excited to share this walking tacos recipe with you! This is the perfect recipe for "Taco Tuesday", a family dinner, or entertaining because everyone loves tacos! It is so easy to make and everyone can make their own tacos with a fully stocked walking taco bar. You can offer all sorts of toppings for everyone to choose from.
These tacos were so popular, I made them again when the kids had a few friends over to swim. It is nice because everyone can make their tacos their favorite way. You can have the traditional toppings like lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes...then mix it up with pickled jalapeños and my homemade chimichurri sauce.
Why these walking tacos are the best:
If you love tacos, this is a deliciously simple way to make tacos fun! I know a lot of people struggle with finding spices that are certified gluten free. Pioneer has created some incredible certified gluten free mixes, and I am in love with their new taco mix!
Pioneer really wanted to do gluten free the right way and all of their gluten free mixes are certified gluten free by the Gluten Intolerance Group. These tacos are so easy to make and the flavor is delicious.
You can buy Pioneer mixes at Walmart nationwide, or use this product locator to find them at select grocery stores.
My family went crazy over the flavor of the taco meat. Pioneer has put a lot of time into making their gluten free mixes taste just as good as if you made the seasoning from scratch.
Pioneer products have been served at kitchen tables to Presidential dining rooms since 1851. They have branched into gluten free mixes and have lots of plans to increase their gluten free offerings! Wait until you try their gluten free gravy mixes!!
You can include any ingredients you like in a walking taco bar!
- Meat - Use any ground meat or vegan meat with Pioneer Taco Mix!
- Veggies - I love to use chopped lettuce, tomatoes, onion, pickled jalapeños, etc.
- Cheese - I prefer sharp cheddar, but you can also use a Mexican blend cheese.
- Salsa - Use your favorite salsa. I include a recipe below for a delicious green chimichurri sauce too!
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Brown the ground beef, or other ground meat in a skillet. Drain the fat into a paper cup when it is finished. (Don't pour hot grease down your sink as it can clog the pipe!)
Step 2: Pour in the Pioneer taco mix and stir.
Step 3: Add the ¾ cup of water. Stir, cover, and reduce the heat to simmer.
Step 4: Prep the taco bar ingredients in separate bowls so everyone can customize their own walking tacos. Now to make the homemade chimichurri sauce!
Step 1: Add all of the chimichurri ingredients to your food processor.
Step 2: Blend until everything is pureed, about 15 seconds.
Arrange the taco bar and let everyone dig in to create their perfect tacos!
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
A walking taco is a taco in a cup or bag so you can walk around with it. It is great for entertaining.
You can use anything you like. Lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, you name it!
You can easily make these tacos vegan by using vegan meat.
These tacos are assembled when they are going to get eaten so if you put the taco meat in a separate container, it should keep in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
I have tons of delicious gluten free dinner recipes the whole family will enjoy.
More delicious gluten free meal ideas:
Easy Walking Tacos Bar
- 1 poun ground beef * see note
- 1 packet Pioneer Gluten Free Taco Seasoning Mix * see note
- ½ cup tomatoes freshly diced
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 cup lettuce shredded
- ½ cup salsa
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 7 tomatillos dry paper skin removed
- 1 jalapeño * see note
- ¼ cup cilantro fresh
- 1 clove garlic large or 2 small
- 1 lime juiced. Roughly 1 ½ tablespoon of lime juice
- 2 teaspoons avocado or light oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, brown your meat over medium heat.
- Add the taco seasoning mix and ¾ cup water to the browned meat. Turn the heat down to simmer and cover. Cook 5 minutes.
- Get all of the taco bar fixings ready and put them into bowls.
- Add all of the chimichurri ingredients to a food processor or Vitamix and blend until it is somewhat smooth with small chunks of the ingredients.
- Note you can use ground beef, turkey, chicken, bison, pork, or vegan meat in this recipe. If you are keeping this low-fat, use ground turkey or chicken.
- If you are gluten free, be sure to use Pioneer's certified gluten free taco mix! Not all spice mixes are gluten free so you want to make sure to stay safe and use Pioneer.
- You can use any red salsa brand you like.
- Tortilla chips - most are gluten free, but some do have wheat flour so always read the label of the bag!
- These tacos are great to make ahead. The taco meat will keep fresh in an air-tight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. You can also freeze the cooked taco meat and thaw in the microwave oven.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)