Whipping cream can be used to make a homemade whipped cream or as an ingredient in both sweet and savory recipes. Before buying a carton of whipping cream, it is important to know Is Heavy Cream Gluten Free?
What Is Heavy Cream?
Heavy cream, also known as heavy whipping cream, is the milk fat that you find on top of milk that hasn't been homogenized. It is sold in any grocery store. Heavy cream is roughly 36% fat.
Heavy cream is processed from milk at the dairy. It is a by-product of running pasteurized milk through a separator. It captures the fat molecules that rise to the top.
Heavy cream is used to make whipped cream, no-churn frozen ice cream, and savory dishes like soups and cream sauces. It is rich and creamy due to its high-fat content.
Check out all of my baking ingredients research.
Answer: Is Heavy Cream Gluten Free?
Yes, if you buy plain and unflavored whipping cream, heavy cream is gluten free. Heavy cream is only made from milk, and therefore it is gluten free. There aren't any cross-contamination concerns as nothing else is processed on the same equipment.
If you are celiac, gluten intolerant, or gluten sensitive, only buy real heavy cream. Flavored heavy cream can potentially contain gluten-containing ingredients so I would avoid anything flavored.
Is Non-Dairy Heavy Cream Gluten Free?
There are two heavy cream alternatives on the market.
- You can use a cold can of full-fat coconut milk. It whips up really well as long as it is super cold. Coconut milk is gluten free, and you can read more in Is Coconut Milk Gluten Free?
- There is a new non-dairy heavy whipping cream alternative on the market lately by Silk that is new on the market. It is made with coconut cream and a few simple ingredients. This Silk Dairy-Free Heavy Whipping Cream is gluten free as well!
Recipes Using Heavy Cream:
- Heavy cream is the star ingredient in most no-churn ice cream recipes. Try this No-Churn Earl Grey Ice Cream recipe.
- Heavy cream is the main ingredient in any alfredo sauce. Try my Gluten Free Alfredo Sauce recipe.
- Try this creamy Potato and Chicken Soup recipe if you love comfort food!
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
Leave a Reply