The spicy sauce known as sriracha started as a way to top Asian foods. But once everyone discovered how much flavor is added, it’s been seen infusing all kinds of cuisine. But if you can’t have gluten, you may wonder, is sriracha gluten free?
What Is Sriracha?
Sriracha is a bright red hot sauce with a nice, spicy profile and exotic taste. It is made with chiles, garlic, vinegar, sugar, and spices. Huy Fong Foods is the original and most recognizable brand making sriracha. You would probably recognize the bottles with the rooster on the front. Many fondly call it the rooster sauce :-).
The chiles are ground up with the seeds and then combined with vinegar. This mixture is then given salt and preservatives. Finally, it is sealed away in barrels to use year-round. The result is a spicy, tangy, and sweet sauce with a garlic kick. Sriracha is an excellent sauce for Asian-style dishes. However, it can be added to any cuisine to bring a new flavor profile.
With a murky origin, it’s not entirely clear where the sauce originated. However, it has most often been served in Thai and Vietnamese cuisine. It is even widely available in Chinese restaurants in the US. While the creator of Huy Fong Foods is Vietnamese, sriracha is named after local hot sauces found in Thailand’s Sri Racha.
Be sure to read all my articles to learn which condiments are gluten-free.
Answer: Is Sriracha Gluten Free?
If you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, you must check all brand allergen statements to be sure a product is safe to eat. Typically, it is difficult to do with many Asian ingredients because the labels are not in English. This can make it hard to determine whether a food has gluten ingredients. These foods are typically NOT certified gluten free.
Well, I have good news for gluten free spicy food lovers: Sriracha doesn’t have any gluten. While brands will vary with seasonings, they all use chilies, sugar, vinegar, and preservatives, none containing gluten, wheat, or barley. In addition, on the bottle of Huy Fong Sriracha, the ingredients are listed in five different languages.
That means you can safely dunk your fries into this gluten free hot sauce, dump it into your soups, and go crazy with this delicious, flavorful, and dish-livening sauce.
You can also try this recipe to make homemade sriracha sauce if you want to try something new!
Ingredients In Sriracha:
Chili, Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Distilled Vinegar, Potassium Sorbate, and Sodium Bisulfite as Preservatives, Xanthan Gum.
What Brands of Sriracha Are Gluten Free?
Several different companies make sriracha sauce. Here are the ones who claim their products are gluten free on their websites and many on the ingredient statement on the bottle:
- Huy Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
- Lee Kum Kee Sriracha Chili Sauce
- Tabasco Premium Sriracha Sauce
- Hellmann’s Creamy Sriracha Dip and Sauce
- Noble Made Sriracha Tahini Salad Dressing
- Yellowbird Blue Agave Sriracha
- Sky Valley Sriracha Sauce (this gluten-free hot sauce is Certified Gluten Free!)
Ways To Use Sriracha:
Because sriracha is gluten free, you can use it on anything you want, perhaps creating your favorite combination to spice things up!
- Drizzle it onto your gluten-free avocado toast with egg for brunch with a kick.
- Serve it with hot dogs as a spicy condiment. You can also make sriracha mayo for sandwiches!
- Mix it with air-popped popcorn for a movie night treat.
- Swirl it into hummus for an unbeatable healthy snack or spread.
- Add it to your marinades, salad dressings, soups, and stews.
- Or make a Bloody Mary with a fun twist!
- Flavor salt with sriracha for cooking. You can also use this seasoned sriracha salt to line the rim of these Grapefruit Margaritas.
Your go-to haven for gluten-free living, where I share hundreds of delicious, family-friendly recipes, helpful gluten-free resources, and allergen-friendly options for everyone!