If you thought you had to give up Asian foods when going gluten free, this gluten free beef and broccoli stir fry is perfect for those busy nights. This healthy beef and broccoli dinner is ready in under 20 minutes!
Keep reading because I will walk you through the gluten free Asian sauce brands and more!! If you are new to gluten free living, don't forget to check out my easy Gluten Free Living Guide for tips and tricks to learning how to live and eat gluten free.
Click for Table of Contents:
We will be gearing up for school in just three short weeks. Laidback summer days are about to be a thing of the past, much to my kids' extreme disappointment.
School means not only busy days but busy nights as well. Between homework, sports, and activities...there isn't enough time to make a big family dinner. You are going to love how easy this gluten free stir fry is to make.
On busy school nights, it is all about quick and easy dinners like this gluten free stir fry recipe.
Why this stir fry recipe is great:
This beef and broccoli recipe is one of the easiest stir fry recipes to make. Kids love the flavors and will eat this without any complaint! You can use broccoli, or any vegetables you have on-hand. Best yet, it is ready in just 20 minutes!
My kids always say this is the best beef and broccoli recipe. If you love Asia foods as much as we do, you will also want to try my delicious Gluten Free Pork Fried Rice recipe.
What you need to make this:
- Steak - You can use any cut for this recipe.
- Rice noodles - If you can't find rice noodles, use rice.
- Leeks - Leeks have a delicious mild flavor that my kids like better than onion. You can easily use yellow onions if you don't have leeks on-hand.
- Tamari - this is very similar in flavor to gluten free soy sauce. You can use either but I recommend low sodium soy sauce.
Is stir fry sauce gluten free?
Most stir fry sauces are not gluten free. It is so easy to make a homemade Asian Gluten free stir fry sauce!
The most important thing is you need to read labels to make sure your ingredients are gluten free.
What Asian sauces are gluten free?
- Wok Mei makes delicious gluten free Asian sauces.
- Many Dynasty sauces are gluten free.
- Quite a few San J Sauces are gluten free.
- You can also make your own Hoisin Sauce Recipe.
(*NOTE DO NOT buy Lee Kum Kee. These contain wheat!!)
Tamari is a wonderful wheat-free, gluten free soy sauce that is really popular in gluten free cooking. Tamari has the same flavors like soy sauce as both are made with soy. The main difference is that tamari is made without wheat.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Put water up to boil for the rice noodles. You can also make rice if you prefer serving the beef and broccoli over rice. Wash your broccoli. Chop it up into bite-sized florets.
Step 2: Chop and wash a fresh leek. You can use onion if you prefer.
Step 3: Heat a skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced steak to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently.
Step 4: When the meat is almost done cooking, remove it from the heat by putting it in a bowl.
Step 5: Stir fry the broccoli and leeks in a skillet until the vegetables are softened.
Step 6: Make the sauce, then add the sauce, the meat, and the broccoli back to the pan. Cook for 5 more minutes so the sauce flavors and coats the meat and vegetables, serve the beef and broccoli hot!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
There are so many things you can serve with stir fry. Most common is white or brown rice but many also like quinoa. This recipe includes vermicelli rice noodles, but you can omit those and serve this stir-fry over rice instead.
Most stir-fries are healthy. You cook the vegetables on high heat, which seals in the nutrition and flavors. Stir-fry also includes a lot of green leafy vegetables adding to the nutrition.
I like to use avocado oil or coconut oil when I make a stir-fry. You can use any oil that is good at high heat. I avoid cheaper low-quality oils like canola and corn oil.
This recipe is also delicious with sliced chicken, pork or even tofu.
More vegetable ideas:
You can add any vegetables to this healthy beef and broccoli stir-fry. Pick your child's favorites and just toss them into the pan :-). We like to use:
More delicious beef recipes to try:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Stir Fry Beef and Broccoli
- 1 pound beef stew meat *see note
- 1/4 cup leeks
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups rice noodles
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a skillet on high heat.
- Cook broccoli and leeks until just tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and add thinly sliced beef.
- Cook the meat until it is almost done. Remove and put in a bowl.
- Add tamari, coconut aminos, juice, garlic, and teaspoon of oil to the pan. Saute until it bubbles.
- Add meat and vegetables and toss to coat.
- Cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice, noodles, or by itself.
- You can use any cut of beef for this recipe. You can also substitute shrimp, chicken, or pork if you don't have beef on-hand.
- Tamari and gluten free soy sauce are interchangeable.
- If you can't use coconut oil, any high heat oil is fine.
- You can serve this with rice noodles, or over rice.
- This stir fry will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)
(*This post was updated from an older post I wrote in August 2015.)