Coconut flour brownies with Delicata squash are a sneaky way to make brownies healthier! These moist, delicious brownies are grain-free, dairy-free, gluten free, and paleo. If you love chocolate, this paleo coconut flour brownie recipe is for you.
You may also want to check out my other delicious gluten free brownie recipes too!
Click for Table of Contents:
These are coconut flour brownies with a healthy secret. That's right, this is one of those recipes that you have to promise not to tell your kids about the hidden vegetables.
What if I told you that you could have these delicious brownies and that they are grain free, healthy brownies with no refined sugar? Well, this brownie is a new hit in our house!
I am trying to add more grain-free treats for our family and this experiment came out really well. I credit the moistness of these paleo chocolate brownies with the delicata squash inside.
If you like to hide veggies in your baking, check out these Gluten Free Acorn Squash Cookies or these Gluten Free Butternut Squash Caramel Cake Bars.
I hope you agree these are the BEST paleo brownies ever 🙂
Baking with squash:
Shhhh! Please don't give my secret away to my kids by telling them that there is squash in this Paleo brownies recipe! I love to make desserts with winter squash! If you want to try, you must make this gluten free pumpkin cheesecake or this gluten free maple ginger butternut squash tart.
Delicata squash is a beautiful yellow squash with green and sometimes orange stripes. It is a light squash that has a sweet flavor.
How to cook delicata squash:
There are a few different ways to cook Delicata squash, including:
- Baking it in the oven, which is what I did for this recipe.
- Microwaving the squash. To microwave delicata squash, slice the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Place the squash face down in a microwave-safe dish. Add a little water to the pan. Microwave for 8 minutes until soft.
- Grill it! This is a fun way to cook delicata squash to add a slightly smoky flavor. Half and prepare the squash as listed above. Place the squash halves stripes down and grill for 10 minutes.
I roasted a delicata squash I received from our local CSA farm box. I like to choose delicata squash for our weekly box because it is sweet and easy to incorporate into so many recipes.
These grain-free brownies are a delicious treat!
What grade of maple syrup is best for baking?
Maple syrup comes in two grades. Grade A is lighter and is what you see most commonly in your grocery store. Grade B maple syrup is darker and has a stronger maple flavor. For this recipe, either maple syrup will work, but I prefer Grade B.
This coconut flour brownies recipe is very easy to make. You will want to use an electric mixer to blend the batter in order to break up the squash and make a smooth paleo brownie batter.
You can see how moist these coconut flour brownies are. I love that there is a grain-free brownies. You can also see there is no obvious sign of squash!!
Substitutions and Variations:
There are a few fun ways to change up this paleo chocolate brownies recipe. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Add dark chocolate chips.
- Add dried fruit like cranberries
- Add nuts. I used walnuts, but pecans or even macadamia nuts would be delicious.
- If you don't like maple syrup, you can use honey or agave nectar instead.
- Coconut flour absorbs a ton of moisture, make sure you measure this correctly so it has the right consistency in this recipe.
- An 8x8 baking pan is a perfect size to make this recipe.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Paleo Delicata Squash Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 10x10 baking dish with coconut oil, or other nonstick oil.
- In a large bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a small bowl, add wet ingredients and squash puree.
- Use a mixer to blend well. (This also helps break up the squash more.)
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes until done in the center.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)