These healthy gluten free breakfast donuts are kid approved in our house. They are also dairy free so dig in!
No guilty so go ahead and have donuts for breakfast.
Donuts for breakfast?? Absolutely not!
Donuts have a bad rap. Sugary, sweet, fried, and unhealthy….but oh so delicious.
After making gluten and dairy free lemon donuts earlier in the week, my kids have been begging me to make more donuts. I decided to attempt a donut recipe that is so healthy, any mom would feel good giving it to their kids for breakfast.
Check out all of my donut recipes in The Best Gluten Free Donut Recipes post.
This healthy donut recipe has all of the good stuff. Almond flour, chia seeds, and flaxseed meal. They are dairy-free and refined sugar-free too.
Will your kids know these are healthy? Not unless you tell them!
How do you cook gluten free donuts?
My saving grace has been this Babycakes Mini Donut Maker. It makes donuts in under 5 minutes, which is perfect for a busy morning.
You can also bake these donuts in a donut pan. If you do this, don’t forget to spray the pan with coconut oil so they are slightly crispy on the outside.
One thing you will notice is this donut batter is thick, much thicker than other donut recipes I have posted.
That is because it is jam-packed with nutrition…it takes a bit longer to cook in the donut maker, but they are still moist and flavorful.
Check out all of the good stuff in this donut! You can just see the flaxseed, chia, and raisins in this donut.
Substitutions and Variations for this recipe:
- Add dried cranberries or blueberries instead of raisins.
- Add in some chopped pecan or walnuts for even more protein!
- Feel free to add a few chocolate chips if your kids are really picky eaters!
- If it is around the holidays, add a teaspoon of pumpkin spice!
(**Please note there are affiliate links in this post. Making a purchase from an affiliate link will not change the price you pay for an item. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support !)
Tools You Need To Make This Recipe:
- Babycakes Donut Maker. As I mentioned above, this is fast and easy. Plus an extra bonus, using it won’t heat your house up if you want donuts in the summer!
- Donut Pan. If you prefer, you can also bake donuts in this easy non-stick pan.
- Certified gluten free oats. Make sure your oats are certified gluten free. Oats are very easily cross-contaminated with wheat so really make sure so you stay safe.
How to make this gluten free breakfast donut recipe:
Easy gluten free healthy donuts.
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup lightly sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup ground flaxmeal
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup grade B maple syrup
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup raisins
In a large bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
In a medium bowl, add all wet ingredients and mix well.
Plug in the Babycakes Donut Makerto heat.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.
You will notice this dough is thicker than my other donut recipes. That is ok, it will add another minute or two to cooking...but these are still moist and delicious.
Spray coconut oil into donut sections of donut maker.
Add a spoon full of dough into each donut section in the donut maker.
Close the lid and cook for 4-5 minutes until done.
Move to cooling rack.
More Yummy Donut Recipes!