A gluten free cheddar muffin recipe that's easy to make, and the light and fluffy muffins are SO delicious! If you are looking for a fun savory muffin recipe, you need to try this!
To see how to make the gluten free savoury muffins recipe, watch our RECIPE VIDEO! Learning how to eat gluten free has never been so easy!
People will NEVER know these cheddar muffins are gluten free from just tasting them. And, each bite is full of cheesy herb goodness.
I have several gluten free muffin recipes up on the blog, but this is my only savory muffin recipe. (Here are my kids' favorite muffin recipes in case you want to make an assortment of muffins.)
Hopefully, I will get braver and better as I continue to make tutorials for you :-).
Is cheese gluten free?
The short answer is yes, cheese is gluten free...BUT, you ALWAYS want to read the labels. Highly processed cheeses (think Cheeze Whiz types of cheese) may contain gluten. Also, double-check all shredded cheeses to ensure they do not contain gluten.
Don't you wish you could reach through the screen and grab one of these gluten free cheese muffins?
Variations and Flavor Substitutions:
Everyone has their own herb/cheese favorites. Feel free to customize this gluten free savoury muffin recipe to make it something you love! Here are a few ideas:
- Substitute mozzarella and basil for the cheddar and rosemary
- Try a sharper cheese like gorgonzola or blue cheese
- Give these a Mexican flavor with Cheddar and Jalapeño
- Something different like smoked gouda and thyme
Now that this excitement is over, let's move to the muffins that have rocked my world!
These muffins mix up in just one bowl....so easy. Also, a BIG thank you for all of the emails you have been sending me about these muffins!! I love hearing how you adapt these muffins, and how much your family loves them!
- Use my recommended gluten free flour blend. Flour matters and not all flours contain gluten free grains that bake up light and fluffy. A bean flour based gluten free flour will not work.
- If you do use a different gluten free flour, make sure it contains xanthan gum. If it doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.
- Do not over mix the muffin batter. The secret to light and fluffy muffins is to just mix the wet and dry ingredients enough to blend them. Over mixing will cause your muffins to be denser.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Cheddar Muffins
- 1 ¼ cup gluten free flour blend (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Spray olive oil into each cup of a muffin tin.
- In a mixer, add eggs, water and melted butter.
- Mix on low until blended.
- Increase speed to medium for 30 seconds.
- Turn off mixer.
- Add baking powder, salt, flour, cheese and herbs.
- Mix on low speed until blended.
- Scoop batter into each muffin tin so it is filled half way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until done.
- Remove and put each muffin on a cooling rack.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend, and Authentic Foods Multi Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the muffins. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done baking. If you see batter or crumbs, the muffins need to bake longer.
- These muffins will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)