A gluten free cheddar muffin recipe that's easy to make, and the light and fluffy muffins are SO delicious!
To see how to make the gluten free savoury muffins recipe, watch our RECIPE VIDEO! Learning how to eat gluten free has never been so easy!
Click for Table of Contents:
People will NEVER know these cheddar muffins are gluten free from just tasting them. And, each bite is full of cheesy herb goodness.
I have several gluten free muffin recipes up on the blog, but this is my only savory muffin recipe. (Here are my kids' favorite muffin recipes in case you want to make an assortment of muffins.)
Hopefully, I will get braver and better as I continue to make tutorials for you :-).
Is cheese gluten free?
The short answer is yes, cheese is gluten free...BUT, you ALWAYS want to read the labels. Highly processed cheeses (think Cheeze Whiz types of cheese) may contain gluten. Also, double-check all shredded cheeses to ensure they do not contain gluten.
Don't you wish you could reach through the screen and grab one of these gluten free cheese muffins?
Variations and Flavor Substitutions:
Everyone has their own herb/cheese favorites. Feel free to customize this gluten free savoury muffin recipe to make it something you love! Here are a few ideas:
- Substitute mozzarella and basil for the cheddar and rosemary
- Try a sharper cheese like gorgonzola or blue cheese
- Give these a Mexican flavor with Cheddar and Jalapeño
- Something different like smoked gouda and thyme
Now that this excitement is over, let's move to the muffins that have rocked my world!
These muffins mix up in just one bowl....so easy. Also, a BIG thank you for all of the emails you have been sending me about these muffins!! I love hearing how you adapt these muffins, and how much your family loves them!
- Use my recommended gluten free flour blend. Flour matters and not all flours contain gluten free grains that bake up light and fluffy. A bean flour based gluten free flour will not work.
- If you do use a different gluten free flour, make sure it contains xanthan gum. If it doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.
- Do not over mix the muffin batter. The secret to light and fluffy muffins is to just mix the wet and dry ingredients enough to blend them. Over mixing will cause your muffins to be denser.
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend, (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray olive oil into each cup of a muffin tin.
- In a mixer, add eggs, water and melted butter.
- Mix on low until blended.
- Increase speed to medium for 30 seconds.
- Turn off mixer.
- Add baking powder, salt, flour, cheese and herbs.
- Mix on low speed until blended.
- Scoop batter into each muffin tin so it is filled half way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until done.
- Remove and put each muffin on a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
**If your gluten free flour blend doesn't include Xanthan Gum, please add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon! **Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.